Carpet/flooring

(7 Posts)
MrsJamin Fri 08-Mar-13 12:58:14

I'm just watching a channel 4 program (on catch up) about negotiating on kitchens - might be worth watching to get an idea how to get a good deal? link to it on 4od

OhTheConfusion Fri 08-Mar-13 09:01:33

Thanks Sprakle, I am off to look at flooring on Sunday so will see how toddler proof it is and how the quote comes in... [Eeeeekkkk!].

sparkle9 Wed 06-Mar-13 18:09:02

Yes I definitely got a good deal on the karndean. It was from the Van Gogh range. I don't have toddlers so can't comment! It does seem very hardwearing though. I changed the bathrooms from vinyl to karndean at the last minute and they said just to add £100 rather than working out another price. Nice! The builder gave consent for 2 days of carpet fitting and karndean prep prior to completion. I had to request this through the solicitors. The karndean glue didn't dry quickly enough so on the day I moved in, it was still being fitted. The removal men were climbing over the karndean fitters. It then took another 4 half day visits before it was completely finished. It was worth it but I just thought I'd share this info to help you plan you flooring fitting in the new build.

OhTheConfusion Tue 05-Mar-13 21:33:58

MedicPeso, I guess asking won't hurt.

Sparkle, that is a really good price for karndean... I love their blond oak parquet flooring but can't decide if it is toddler proof or not!

sparkle9 Tue 05-Mar-13 21:06:50

I had my new build done for £4700. That was carpets in 4 bedrooms, 2 flights of stairs and landings. Karndean in two bathrooms, WC, kitchen/diner and lounge. That included underlay etc and fitting.

MedicPeso Tue 05-Mar-13 20:04:00

Of course it's not rude to ask, it's sensible smile.

Talk to them, get a price, ask for a discount based on the fact that its a reasonable sized job, ask if that's the best they can offer, then leave saying that you need to think about it / get some other quotes. They'll have at least 1 or 2 steps down that they can take, so make sure that they take them!

OhTheConfusion Tue 05-Mar-13 19:05:32

I am moving into a new build house next month and need to carpet throughout... would it be rude to ask the carpet shop for a discount if I was buying carpets and underlay for four bedrooms, lounge/diner, hall, stairs and landing as well as them fitting it all. I'm looking at over £2500 sad and that's before I tile two bathrooms, kitchen and utility.

Off to price up blinds next...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now