Talk to me about wall art/paintings

(17 Posts)
fussychica Sun 03-Mar-13 17:15:45

I'm trying to find something nice for the lounge wall - anyone recommend any good sites/shops? have looked in all the usual places JL, Next, individual local galleries but haven't found a thing.
Don't want pebble/flower/keep calm/union jack/city stuff.
Something a bit different would be nice - don't want to spend more than about £200

Confuseddd Sun 03-Mar-13 18:27:15

Look on Etsy.com . You can find lots of original artwork there.

georgedawes Sun 03-Mar-13 18:30:58

Where are you? People might be able to recommend a local artist or photographer.

If you're near Manchester, I can recommend Neil Roland -

www.neilroland.co.uk/

LowLevelWhinging Sun 03-Mar-13 18:39:54

this is a nice shop: Atelier Rose Gray

and also this place is cool Richard Goodall Gallery

I love this guy's stuff: Moose Allain

there's millions of prints to choose from on this site Allposters.co.uk and they are always nicely framed.

We have a few of this guy's prints Stanley Chow

And if you're in the north west, the Buy Art Fair was brilliant last year, with loads of art in all price ranges. I think they're back at the end of September.

Hope that helps!

Sinkingfeeling Sun 03-Mar-13 18:53:46

Art colleges usually have end of year degree shows where students display their work and sell it (at very reasonable prices) to the public. In my county, there's also 'art weeks' where local arists throw open their studio doors to the public and sell directly - artwork, pottery, sculpture, textiles etc.

Figgyroll Sun 03-Mar-13 19:25:13

We spent 6 months looking for a piece of artwork. Eventually I suggested to DH that we should look on our laptop, choose a great holiday photograph and have it enlarged to poster size. We spent ages doing that, chose a photo of the Lake District and had it enlarged at a photo shop. It's in a frame and looks fab. Everyone comments on it and, of course, it has personal memories of a wonderful holiday for us. It total, with the frame, it came to about £80.

As DH says, why spend money on another people's artwork when we have our own.

LilMissSunshine9 Sun 03-Mar-13 20:27:30

I am looking to get some of Victoria Stothard artworks - they are one off pieces and there are some in your price range: www.art2arts.co.uk/artists/victoriastothard?_a=viewAff&affId=victoriastothard&page=0

corlan Sun 03-Mar-13 20:45:11

The website art.co.uk is pretty good - has lots of choice and is quite user friendly - if you're not quite sure what you're looking for, it can give lots of suggestions.

fussychica Mon 04-Mar-13 12:23:04

Thanks for all the links - I've seen lots of stuff I like but nothing I'd want to live with longer term. I like the art school idea - live fairly close to Bath so think I'll explore there.

herethereandeverywhere Mon 04-Mar-13 23:27:50

Have you looked at www.surfaceview.com? The have stock images and art masterpieces you can get made onto canvas (website is way more impressive than my cr*p description!)

Also check out affordableartfair website to see if you could get to one of those?

stickyvicky71 Tue 05-Mar-13 10:51:33

If you are near Bath, I know that Newbridge Arts Trail in Bath is coming up soon and there is an affordable art fair in Bristol at the end of April. You could also try the Rostra gallery in Bath - they do some reasonable limited edition prints . Not sure exactly what you are after though. smile

MrsBucketxx Tue 05-Mar-13 10:57:18

you have to keep looking but achica usually has some nice prints,

we have lots of art work, and you need to ieep an eye on your local antiques centre, and gallery we have found sone great stuff there.

kitsmummy Tue 05-Mar-13 11:28:06

I see you live near Bath. I have screen prints by both these Bristol artists freya cumming and lucie sheridan. They're lovely and would be under the £200 mark I think. Bocabar in Bristol often holds art festivals which are really good for original art.

noahjeff Thu 17-Apr-14 11:48:54

checkout www.colourmywall.co.uk they have banksy wall arts do look for personalized wall stickers

1981Marie Tue 11-Oct-16 17:00:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

slinkysaluki Tue 11-Oct-16 17:44:54

Have a go yourself, I do acrylics on canvas abstract it's not difficult and you get the colours you want to co ordinate with your decor, all you need is a canvas and some acrylic paints you can get them.in the range. Go on try it ! 😉

fartlek Tue 11-Oct-16 21:29:28

prints.nationalgalleries.org
For Scottish national gallery prints. I love joan eardley!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now