What do you expect a furnished flat to contain?

(9 Posts)
Goodwordguide Wed 27-Feb-13 20:19:04

I assume it means beds, mattresses, sofas and kitchen table, wardrobes and chest of drawers.

Does it also mean crockery and cutlery? Pots and pans? Ironing board, hoover etc?

We're rentng our place out and the EA has been very vague about what furnished means.

Thanks

specialsubject Wed 27-Feb-13 20:23:43

change your EA - and suggest you don't let a furnished flat, everything you own you need to fix.

that full list is for a holiday let. A rental flat contains as a minimum; carpets, curtains, kitchen cupboards and surfaces, washing machine, dishwasher, cooker and hob. If you MUST furnish then it is nearer your first list, but never all the cooking kit etc.

Carolra Wed 27-Feb-13 20:24:46

I rented plenty of furnished places over the years and there never seemed to be any hard and fast rules... Beds, mattresses, sofas yes. I would expect the kitchen to be furnished too, crockery, cutlery, cookware, but this can often be really poor quality. Iron and ironing board sometimes. Hoover most of the time. Washing machine, definitely. I think the only way to deal with it is to put what you want in an email to the EA and say your offer is dependent on those things being available....

Carolra Wed 27-Feb-13 20:26:46

Argh, sorry I misread this, thought you were renting. I guess it still applies though smile

Misty9 Wed 27-Feb-13 20:28:40

Fully furnished is everything - crockery, cutlery, everything.
Part furnished is usually white goods, beds and mattresses, sofas and furniture (or sometimes just white goods)
Unfurnished is nothing - or if you're nice, at least a cooker grin we are serial renters and have our own white goods but definitely not a cooker!

The one time I rented fully furnished it was very weird having all the things there and not something I'd do again tbh.

YellowAndGreenAndRedAndBlue Wed 27-Feb-13 20:29:38

Is there a reason you are letting it furnished? I would say basic furniture only lus white goods & Hoover.

Goodwordguide Wed 27-Feb-13 20:31:40

We have another flat that we let furnished and it contains quite a lot but that's because we were moving abroad and when we moved back (to current house), we started from scratch.

I'm happy to leave beds and large furniture but would really rather not have to provide kitchen stuff and I wasn't sure if that's the norm.

I think I will start drawing up a list of what we're happy to provide. It just depend in the individual tenants to a certain extent, no?

Goodwordguide Wed 27-Feb-13 20:33:29

We're lettingit furnished to be a flexible as possible plus a lot of our current furniture won't fit in the new place. Potential tenants are three sharers - will wait and see what/if they offer first.

specialsubject Thu 28-Feb-13 10:28:40

sharers may well want stuff if they are just starting out.

remember that with sharers, although you are renting to three there will probably be six there quite a lot of the time, so make sure that the inventory is thorough as there will be extra wear and tear. Remove anything that you would be upset about if it is damaged or vanishes - this is a wise precaution for all tenancies. Not so much because you expect stuff to be taken, but because anyone can have an accident, anyone can get burgled.

I lost quite a few minor items from my house - but also gained a lot of stuff left behind by various tenants and missed at checkout. It was all a fun surprise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now