If you've had new windows recently..

(19 Posts)

I agree shop around definitely - but for us x12 windows anglian were £1200 less than 2 local companies who came in at £6000 and Everest were twice that!
Have to say we won't be using them for a new door as we don't like their finishes, so found a manufacturer in Doncaster who supply to a local company - not coming to quote til Monday so fingers crossed the price will be as nice as the door!!!
So any probs with Dempsey Dyer or Wade Windows tell me now before I sign anything...

Badvoc Thu 28-Feb-13 17:49:24

I have just had a quite from a local guy for 4 windows, 2 small and 2 large of £1300 all in
Fgs dont go to Anglian!
<bitter>

mrssmooth Thu 28-Feb-13 17:46:34

Ha, I'm laughing at everyone who says "try Anglian". We did. For one window (standard size, fairly big I think) they quoted us £1200. Got a quote from a local company. £440. Guess who we went with?! Think it's always best to get quotes from different companies, local and National. But there's no way I'd go for Anglian again ... although I appreciate it was only one window and he did say the more windows you have done the cheaper it would be. That's all fine and good, but we only needed one doing! (Sorry, rant over!)

ouryve Thu 28-Feb-13 17:01:19

A good local company can be better. They're not all good, though. The guy who installed our front door made a right pig's ear of it.

i've had factory windows from a national company before. this time i'm going for a local family firm and have had excellent service so far.

then i think i would save up for the windows i really want.

steppemum Wed 27-Feb-13 22:53:23

we replaced 4 windows. previous ones had been in for 20 years and the seal had gone between the glass in 2 of them so there was condensation.

Company weren't the cheapest, but they were very very good (bathroom window opened wrong way and they replaced it at their cost without a murmur (and it was partly our fault)

Was Kingfisher windows (may be local to us? - swindon)
Fitter said that the quality of windows has changed beyond recognition in last 20 years.

had a quote from another local firm, cowboys, did an internet search on them and so glad we didn't go with them.

Had Everest (in the sale, so not so expensive) in our flat about 15 years ago. They were good, and good quality, reliable efficient etc.

Ask in your street if anyone has had theirs done, recommendations are always good.

CointreauVersial Wed 27-Feb-13 22:39:01

This is interesting.

Anyone have a view as to whether local/small is better or worse than national/large?

Springforward Wed 27-Feb-13 22:35:49

We are currently holding a quote for replacement uPVC windows for a 4-bed detached house, about 21 panes in all (taking into account multi-pane windows) for about £4k, from a local carpenter who buys from the local manufacturer. He's not FENSA registered though, so we are currently waiting on a like for like quote from a local independent FENSA registered window company we've had recommended to us.

Virgil Wed 27-Feb-13 20:59:13

Not desperately urgent but the windows we have in at the moment have probably been in for over 20 years and do nothing for the outside of the house at all. I think the previous owners went for the cheapest they could get.

Think it might be something we try to leave for a while, during which time we need to get saving!

ouch

how urgent?

0blio Wed 27-Feb-13 20:39:36

Sounds like it could be expensive then!

The price depends obviously on the quality of the glass, the size of the windows, the style you want and how many openings you need.

Remember, all prices are negotiable whether you decide on a small local company or a big national one.

Virgil Wed 27-Feb-13 20:34:56

Thanks everyone, this is helpful. I think I might need a lottery win. We have 22 windows, an enormous picture window 3m x 3m and four sets of French doors. sad

try Anglian windows, they do offers! we had ours done by them, 12 windows was just under £5k... we are in east anglia - not sure if they are nationwide though...
you have to do their finance to get the best deal - the trich is make first payment, pay off the balance leaving a small amount eg £20 as you pay a % of the final payment, so you need that amount to be small.
The rep told us all this trickery to get it a bit cheaper.
Also ours were a wood finsh - white would have been about a grand less!

try Anglian windows, they do offers! we had ours done by them, 12 windows was just under £5k... we are in east anglia - not sure if they are nationwide though...
you have to do their finance to get the best deal - the trich is make first payment, pay off the balance leaving a small amount eg £20 as you pay a % of the final payment, so you need that amount to be small.
The rep told us all this trickery to get it a bit cheaper.
Also ours were a wood finsh - white would have been about a grand less!

cjel Wed 27-Feb-13 17:49:53

I had patio,front and back doors.2 windows that don't open and 7 windows with opening. It was national complany and I paid 6500.

handmade wooden sash windows with argon filled pilkington k glass - depending on size of window between £1000 - £1500 per window.

I got two large, non standard size, PVC windows fitted recently, with an opening top half and a bar in the middle because they were so big. I paid £300 per window to a local company who make them and fit them. Does that help?

Virgil Wed 27-Feb-13 17:34:41

Could you give me an idea of roughly how much it cost per window. Just trying to get a ball park figure without letting in the hard sell salespeople.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now