Custom-made blackout curtains in London which are cheaper than John Lewis?

(15 Posts)
Pyra Wed 27-Feb-13 10:52:10

I'm looking for custom-made curtains with a blackout lining (and tracks) for 2 fairly large windows in our flat. Got John Lewis to measure them, and got a quote for £1100 including tracks and fitting shock

Would you have suggestions on where else I could look, where I can physically select a fabric from a showroom somewhere within London travel zone 3? I did check Duelm Mills but their nearest showroom is over 15 miles away (and we don't drive). Will need the windows measured since they are quite non-standard. I have never sewn before so DIY is not an option.

fabbadabbado Wed 27-Feb-13 11:13:09

Have you seem those Perfect Fit blinds?

Pyra Wed 27-Feb-13 11:35:38

I don't think they do blackout. Plus looked really drab to me. I'm hoping to get something more functional but still aesthetically pleasing somewhere.

SarkyPants Wed 27-Feb-13 12:15:24

Dunhelm Mill are excellent vaule IMO. Can you not just order samples online?

Pyra Wed 27-Feb-13 12:58:37

Would definitely want to see the fabric and they have nothing in London sad ideally want someone to measure the windows as well.

sinclair Wed 27-Feb-13 18:06:27

Honestly, for made to measure curtains, including track and installation I don't think it is that bad (sorry).

It all depends on how much per metre your fabric is - that could well be your biggest cost. If it is a £20/m fabric from John Lewis you won't be able to find anything comparable much cheaper, but if it is a more expensive designer fabric you may find something similar at the discount fabric houses - you don't say where you are but there is a huge place in Finchley. There is lots online too - tho lots of rubbish too - but most will send samples.

I would get a local curtain maker in to give you a quote for comparison, pricing up buying the track and getting a handyman in to install etc, and get her advice on fabric - she will be able to give you local recommendations or point you in the right direction online.

I have Next supposedly black out curtains which weren't - I just added an extra lining myself - sewed it in the middle at the top only - no need to hem as the blackout lining is sort of rubber-ised
otherwise local curtain maker advice as above is good

The Natural Curtain Company - they did my 6m wide x 2m drop bay window for considerably less that John Lewis and Laura Ashley quoted. They have a showroom in Chelsea.

specialsubject Wed 27-Feb-13 20:21:49

choose your curtains, then have a look on ebay for blackout linings that are the right size.

you don't need to sew if the linings are too long - before you pull the gathers, fold up the excess length and secure with iron on tape.

Cremolafoam Wed 27-Feb-13 20:31:18
EarlyInTheMorning Wed 27-Feb-13 22:09:25

I have used 247Curtains a lot. You're restricted by their selection of fabrics which is not fantastic but you might just find what you're after. I have recently had a huge bay window in a Victorian house with high ceilings fitted with blackout curtains for £360. You need to take the measurements yourself.

EarlyInTheMorning Wed 27-Feb-13 22:12:07

Oh and I have also used the Natural Curtain Company that somebody else has mentioned. They have a gorgeous gorgeous selection of fabrics but you will pay almost JL prices for a large window. I have curtains from both online shops (The Natural Curtain and 247) and the craftsmanship is identical.

Pyra Thu 28-Feb-13 00:21:27

Thanks all. The quote assumed a default £20/m fabric (I haven't selected any yet). I'm going to return to JL to see how sensitive the price they have quoted is to fabric type (if there are any cheaper fabrics I like) and to the cost of the blackout lining, and also check out the other options you mentioned.

We initially wanted roll up blackout blinds to also give us some privacy from the street we overlook. JL measured, but in the end after a lot of back and forth they gave us a choice of all of 3 fabrics (!) and even so hoed and hummed about how well the fabric would hold up as a bottom up blind. The quote for both blinds including fitting was about £550 - hence I was quite surprised to receive a much higher quote for curtains. That took all of 2 months and led us to consider curtains.

I already have basic white roll-down blinds screwed on to the window frames of both the tilt & turn windows (master bedroom and nursery-to-be) which came with the apartment. I plan to leave these in place since removing them may affect the window frame. They are fairly opaque but let through a halo of light. So I'm now wondering if I should just get reasonably opaque curtains with a standard lining (not blackout), and if a combination of the curtain and blind would offer enough 'blackout' properties. A viable option only if it makes some dent in the price. On top of this, we would need to get window film to cover the lower part of the windows.

Tres complicated!!

kaz138 Mon 04-Mar-13 14:25:07

Hi, I have a small business making large curtains as cheaply as possible without compromising on quality - you can check out my website here www.vintageswish.co.uk - I wouldnt be able to come and measure but if you had the pole or track fitted first it would be easy to calculate your curtain requirements smile

Pannacotta Tue 05-Mar-13 20:54:44

Laura Ashley do good discounts on fabrics when they have sales and they have some good linen/viscose mixes which are under £20/metre.
If you can find a local curtain maker you should be able to get it done for less than JL quoted. He/she shoudl be able to measure up and order/install tracks as well as linings etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now