Electrician Costs

(9 Posts)
Cocochops Wed 27-Feb-13 09:39:53

Hi
Just had a quote to install 2 new plug sockets (electrician said it looked fine can just run under floors) and change pendant light to spot light ( we supply the light) this has come in at £300.
This sounds a bit steep to me the problem is we need it done asap as having room plastered next week so trying to get a secind quote from someone that can do it quickly but in the mean time just wanted to know if this sounds reasonable or not.

Thanks

almostanotherday Wed 27-Feb-13 09:46:53

Which Area are you in?

Cocochops Wed 27-Feb-13 09:48:15

London! Is that resonable for here?!

sooperdooper Wed 27-Feb-13 09:51:22

Sounds very expensive to me! I got some good quotes from www.mybuilder.com, you could try there?

ILikeBirds Wed 27-Feb-13 10:13:58

What room is it in? If it's a notifiable location such as a kitchen it may cost more but it sounds extortionate to me.

almostanotherday Wed 27-Feb-13 10:21:01

My DH said around £200 PM if you want his details depending on where in London you are.

SignoraStronza Wed 27-Feb-13 10:28:42

Sounds really expensive. We got power and light put into our garage for about that.

PigletJohn Wed 27-Feb-13 11:59:30

It is rather expensive. Try to get a personal recommendation. The websites are mostly concealed advertising paid for by the contractors, or recommendations written by them and their chums.

When calling an electrician always ask "which competent-person scheme are you in?" (you can check it on their website) "how long have you been a member ?" (you don't want a beginner) "are you a Domestic Installer?" (this is the lowest grade of membership and not especially skilled)

You can also search for qualified local people on one of the Competent Person Scheme websites such as Benchmark, BSI, BESCA, ECA, NAPIT, NICEIC, OFTEC, Stroma, but this will not tell you if they're neat and good value.

For example this is well-known one

Cocochops Wed 27-Feb-13 20:51:46

Thanks everyone it was very expensive. We managed to get a couple of quotes over the phone and now got someone coming round to do it for less than half the price
almost thanks for the offer my husband had already allied someone before I saw this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now