Where to live in North Yorkshire?

(61 Posts)
helsbels03 Mon 25-Feb-13 07:48:12

Hi, we are looking to move from north London to North Yorkshire. 3 dc, 2 at primary and 1 pre school. Just done a half term reccy and like wether by . However it seems to be a little more expensive than other places. Our main priority is schools, but ideally would like a new build.

Any suggestions??

Aberchips Tue 06-May-14 13:11:37

Harrogate or Ripon would be ideal if you're commuting to Leeds/ York, North Leeds (Roundhay, Alwoodley, Chapel Allerton) are all lovely, I'm in Roundhay at the moment, and it's reasonable for the commute. Depending on what size of house you want (I know 4 bed, but there are small 4 beds & big 4 beds - semi, terrace, detached?) is that you may not have as much choice as you think - contrary to popular belief bits of Yorkshire are quite pricey & not full of gems waiting to be pinched snapped up by Londonders! wink (tongue firmly in cheek btw)
Wetherby is a nice place - it's a thriving market town with some v nice shops & restaurants.

Good luck in your search & obviously come back & post pics of any possible house so we can have a nosy give more advice! grin

roadwalker Mon 05-May-14 09:57:58

GO AWAY
N. Yorks is full of people who have moved north and are pushing house prices up something terrible <lighthearted you are very welcome>

Shartibartfast Mon 05-May-14 09:53:46

There's quite a lot of new housing being built in Boston Spa which has good primaries and a high school, is a pretty village on the river Wharfe and there's plenty going on. Bus links to Wetherby, Harrogate & Leeds. Not cheap though!

Shartibartfast Mon 05-May-14 09:50:43

Chapel Allerton is on the north side if Leeds and has an urban cultural vibe. Wetherby us great, and there's several cafés and restaurants, a small independent cinema and a decent range of shops. As a mum of teens I would say check the bus routes into Leeds & Harrogate, and don't stray too far from these. My DCs went to 6th form in Harrogate, but have lots of friends in N Leeds, so that's where their social lives are based. There are still lots of their friends who live in remote villages, so there's lots of calls to the taxi of Mum & Dad!

Swisskissingisbetterthenfrench Mon 05-May-14 09:38:39

Ripon is better located for York/leeds

Swisskissingisbetterthenfrench Mon 05-May-14 09:35:33

Hebden bridge. Small small town and direct train to Leeds.

Ripon or Whitby maybe?

Hoppinggreen Mon 05-May-14 09:10:29

Rainbow, look round the Retford area. Nice little town nd some lovely villages around it too.

On the subject of pork pies, my local farm shop here in Huddersfield has just won 1st prize at the National Pork Pie championships!!!

VivaLeBeaver Mon 05-May-14 07:43:42

Rainbow 25, you'd be better starting a new thread as more people will see it.

I always think Tickhill and Bawtry look nice. No IDEa about schools there though.

rainbow25 Sat 03-May-14 22:38:49

Hello new to mumsnet.Can any one advise me please. I am going to be starting a new job very soon in Carcroft North Doncaster, and would need to relocate my family from Newcastle upon tyne.Hubby and 2 girls 2 yrs and 7 yrs.Hubby would be working from home .
I don't mind a commute of 30 mins one way by car but love my family to be based near good schools, nursery etc.
Not keen in a completely rural area.
Any advise please.

CocoNutter Fri 01-Mar-13 00:28:28

If you want to be in Leeds but still on the right side to get to York, Roundhay is a nice area.

Loshad Thu 28-Feb-13 23:05:49

agree with awks, Harrogate, or possibly north Leeds, eg Alwoodley. Many of the other suggestions on this thread would be nightmare commutes for your DH. The only other option is out to the east of Leeds, eg Tadcaster, or many of the small villages but i think you might find it very stultifying if used to London, and it might be too handy for South Leeds!

poweredbytoast Thu 28-Feb-13 22:59:06

I live in Skipton: I love it. Used to live in Leeds but really don't miss city life and you can easily get to Leeds, Bradford or Harrogate if you like shopping and cafe culture. It's very friendly here and I seldom go anywhere without passing someone I know. Might be too small town for you though if you're used to the daily buzz of city life.

helsbels03 Thu 28-Feb-13 22:33:08

Hmm I think I like the idea of a village rather than the reality- taxi for 3 teenagers when the time comes will be a logistical nightmare, bad enough now on a weekend for parties etc. do I think in a town would be better. My family are in south Leeds so don't want to be too near wink but closer than the usual 200 mile round trip is what it's all about!!!!

BikeRunSki Thu 28-Feb-13 21:06:01

Saltaire is in W Yorks though.

HazzaB Wed 27-Feb-13 22:31:53

Had same dilemma. Moving from London, wanted to go to North Yorkshire, couldn't face the beautiful but isolated villages (and even towns). Ended up in north Leeds - love, love, love it. Lovely countryside in 15 mins. 10 mins into centre of town on the bus. Good schools. Nip into Harrogate. Take train across to York or drive when it's not rush hour on the A64. And can vote for Saltaire too. Although I grew up in North Yorkshire and had lots of idyllic ideas in my head, I just couldn't cope with the isolation after London. Still feel out of it in Leeds some days, to be honest, but that's just being silly.

Saltaire is lovely!!! a conservation village, great primary school at least & trains into leeds - and culture - have frieds there

MoreBeta Wed 27-Feb-13 14:48:45

You need to think about what happens when your DCs reach teenage years. Living in a village is OK when they are tiny. I lived on farm outside a vaillage near York and believe me it is terribly isolating. I was over the moon when my parents sent me to boarding school in Harrogate at age 12!

Do you really want to become a taxi driver to three children? If not, you have to live in a decent sized town with a rail station and plenty of buses.

MyNameIsAnAnagram Wed 27-Feb-13 13:10:04

I think you need to be looking in & just outisde the so called Golden Triangle then tbh, much further out and you could be spending all your time commuting, the traffic can be a right bastard.

megandraper Wed 27-Feb-13 10:52:42

Ex-Londoner in Harrogate here - love it. Direct train to both Leeds and York too, which might be good for your DH (as a back-up option even if he wants to drive).

Remember the traffic can be bad up there (many hours on the A61 going into Leeds at the wrong time, being held up by the Grammer School roundabour...) so do look at public transport links. Agree with Awks....the commute from Harrogate or Knaresborough will be much simpler than many other far flong (but lovely) parts of NY.

Awks Wed 27-Feb-13 09:09:58

Harrogate or Knaresborough then for you - prices are ok and commute fine. Good luck with your search and your pork pie research

Inthepotty Wed 27-Feb-13 09:02:45

Copmanthorpe, outside York, is very good for getting to Leeds and York. Nice schools, good grammar, shops, pubs. Also some of the Selby villages are nice, you might feel a bit 'out' though.

BinarySolo Wed 27-Feb-13 08:39:18

A village like emley or Shelley would mean a commute of 55 mins to York and about 40 mins to Leeds.

BinarySolo Wed 27-Feb-13 08:35:21

We live the wrong side of Huddersfield for Leeds, BUT the commute to Leeds is quicker from where we are than it is from Otley which is much nearer.

No to Hebden Bridge. A quick look at their community website shows it's a town very much divided. You're an 'off cumden' unless you've 5 generations buried in the graveyard there. And it appears to have a bit of a drug/drink problem.

lalalonglegs Wed 27-Feb-13 08:06:54

Skipton not great for getting to York sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now