Would granite kitchen worktop and also wall tiles work?

(24 Posts)
reastie Mon 25-Feb-13 06:23:41

Bisjo definitely not wood - we can't swallow the upkeep. The thing with corian is I think it looks too modern for the sort of kitchen I want hmm

noddy thanks, hopefully you're right!

noddyholder Sun 24-Feb-13 21:06:57

this shows 2 completely different patterns for tiles and worktop but the tones are the same so it works

noddyholder Sun 24-Feb-13 20:55:32

The tiles pick out the variation in the granite. Super matched kitchens can look dated and samey Stick with it it really does work imho

noddyholder Sun 24-Feb-13 20:54:10

I think it looks great and I would use it at home and professionally.

difficultpickle Sun 24-Feb-13 20:52:47

Or wood (if you are happy with a high level of maintenance).

difficultpickle Sun 24-Feb-13 20:51:35

I think everything goes together well except the granite. If I were you I would be looking at Corian instead for a plainer finish. If you put those tiles with the granite you are proposing they will detract from each other.

reastie Sun 24-Feb-13 18:05:46

Not to worry kits . I'm sort of the same - I think everything individually goes well together, it's just do they all go together, and, at least it's not terrible hmm !

kitsmummy Sun 24-Feb-13 17:06:26

Oh sorry Reastie, I feel quite bad now!

fwiw I think the tiles, floor, cupboard and paint look lovely together. I'm still not utterly convinced by the granite with it, but that could be because I don't really like the granite itself, so that may be swaying me. It's definitely not terrible like I originally thought, I think i'm probably a bit biased against the granite

reastie Sun 24-Feb-13 16:46:12

Oh, and I'm even more confused by your comments now, but hoping the link might prove some more specific comments now you can actually see what I'm looking at thanks

reastie Sun 24-Feb-13 16:45:21

OK, update. We went to fired earth to exchange the tiles for something plainer. The ladies in the fired earth shop were happy to do this and showed us various suggestions, but when we put the old tiles with all our worksurface etc they genuinely seemed to think it worked well and the floor and worksurface we have picked out are the same tone (apparently) despite being different colours and they put it with some light green swatches for a wall colour and thought it looked fabulous. I was swayed by them and think it could actually look really nice. They seemed to think it wasn't unusual at all to have patterned tiles with granite worksurfaces.

here is a link to a photo I took at fired earth with a sample of the granite worktop, the tiles, to floor we have chosen and kitchen units and the potential green wall colour. Please feedback!!

kitsmummy Sun 24-Feb-13 16:03:00

I hadn't actually seen your link but was just going on the general pattern of granite being too much with the decorative tiles. I have now, however, looked at your granite link and I think it would be horrible with the tiles!

I think you need something plainer, this would be lovely silestone

difficultpickle Sun 24-Feb-13 15:59:27

Couldn't you have a plain worksurface or wood rather than granite? Those tiles look very French country kitchen rather than something sleek and would suit a more rustic kitchen than you appear to be having.

kitsmummy Sun 24-Feb-13 15:54:35

I think it's too much pattern together. Would you consider a corian/stilestone worktop with less pattern in it?

Is there somewhere closer you could go? To see a similar granite, if not exactly the same? Or any friends' kitchens with similar?

reastie Sat 23-Feb-13 21:12:57

notgood we took one tile along to the kitchen shop to see, it's really hard to tell with just one tile. I said to DH we should go back with lots of a few tiles to really see if it will go or not but he's moaning not sure as it's a fair trek from us to drive (long story). Maybe we should do that to put my mind at rest, although, to be fair, I'm no good at these things so even then may not be able to tell!

We're thinking of ringing up the tile shop and seeing if they would do an exchange if we picked a tile which would for sure coordinate.

So, is the consensus that patterned wall tile and granite doesn't work, or is anyone of the opinion please that this could look fabulous? <clutching at straws>

If I had to say, very roughly to give you an idea the granite is a little like this one

If you have the tiles already then just take them along to a kitchen or worktop shop and see if they go or clash.

don't listen to your DH, men have no taste

Murtette Sat 23-Feb-13 19:55:56

Can't you sell the tiles somewhere? Ebay? Or at least speak to the tile shop & see if they'll take them back. If they're standard stock tiles, they may be willing to give you some sort of refund. We've just had granite worktop installed with upstand & splashback behind the hob & I thought it might be a bit much but it just looks clean and fuss free.

reastie Sat 23-Feb-13 18:22:10

xposted again madame that's my worry confused

reastie Sat 23-Feb-13 18:20:38

xposted grey we have bought the tiles already! Otherwise we would just do the upstand thing. Have checked t&c and it's been too long to return them confused . DH thinks they will work but he has no idea or sense of anything

Have the granite go up the wall a bit and then stainless steel splash back over cooker to stop it looking fussy.

Think you need totally plain walls with granite or looks a bit over done.

reastie Sat 23-Feb-13 18:19:26

Thanks notgood I'll check out that site now. I still can't make up my mind as to whether the tiles will look a complete red herring or completely make the kitchen. It just feels like patterned tiles + patterned granite might be too much. We are going for a traditional rather than modern look. We bought the tiles already when we thought we were having a knock through kitchen diner (but cost is too prohibitive so am stuck with a small kitchen) so we have to have the tiles!

greyvix Sat 23-Feb-13 18:15:42

Why not have granite up stands to match the worktop? It would be easier to keep clean- no grouting.

They are quite fussy in the picture so I'm not sure, but if you're only having one level of them maybe they would be OK?

BTW none of the kitchen pictures I look at have my combinations of worktops/floors/units etc., so obviously I am totally untrendy and you should ignore whatever I say!

Have you tried looking at houzz? Lots of design ideas there (mostly from mega-rich Americans mind you!) I found another good design website but have lost it now, will come back if I retrieve it.

reastie Sat 23-Feb-13 13:12:19

Kitchen planning has been changed completely several times and now not sure.

We are having off white shaker style units and hopefully a light granite worktop. We additionally have these tiles to use one tile high (aside from above the hob where it's more). Would the wall tiles work with granite worktop. I'm concerned it would look too busy, but also it might look great and add some character to the granite. I'm really not sure and I'm useless on interior design and I can't find any pictures online of anyone doing anything similar, which makes me wonder why hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now