Shocked - BHS

(42 Posts)
Virgil Sat 23-Feb-13 08:56:42

It isn't just for old ladies! (either that or maybe Im getting old!). It has THE best lighting department. Honestly I would never have thought about looking in there and they have loads and loads of lovely lights. I'm really impressed. Just wanted to share.

fluffiphlox Mon 25-Feb-13 11:49:04

In the 1980s, BHS sold about 30% of the country's lighting. The market is much more fragmented now but I believe the quality and design is still good

Aunt petunia, before I was in lighting, I was in the food hall with a straw boater, A-line green and white pinafore, a snot green blouse and a velvet bow tie. The blue polyester lighting unifom was far more stylish! wink

auntpetunia Tue 26-Feb-13 07:26:40

Ha Agent my cousin worked in the restaurant …I remember that uniform well. I can't say that static heaven was stylish but it was better than that.

BikeRunSki Brazil Tue 26-Feb-13 07:31:38

BHS homewares are a well known "secret" I thought. You know the H stands for Home?

jaynebxl Tue 26-Feb-13 07:42:49

Wondering what else the H might have stood for!

MerryMingeWhingesAgain Tue 26-Feb-13 08:05:06

I have bought towels and bedding there, they reduce stuff generously when there's a sale on. Also great for hard to find lightbulbs in said lighting dept. Shame the clothes are truly appalling and lots of tat in ours. Little Wallis section is handy though as we have no proper branch of any clothes shops here.

Startail Tue 26-Feb-13 08:25:51

Lovely bright bedding that washes well.

Also leggings that are warm (I have expensive Great Plains ones that are colder than tights).

Cheap cropped trousers that last way better than M&S including daft colours used by DD1 (14) to wind up her Guider at camp.

Longdistance Tue 26-Feb-13 08:33:41

I agree about the lighting dept. Also the homewares are pretty decent.
I did used to buy Xmas decs from them that have lasted well. Don't know if they're still good for them?

senua Tue 26-Feb-13 08:41:38

The Good Housekeeping Istitute have a list of "approved products". There are only two things on their Household Items list and one of them is BHS's Ultimate towel range.
The Household Proucts list (washing powder etc) is dominated by Aldi/Lidl.

noddyholder Tue 26-Feb-13 08:44:05

I always use in developments most interior designers do for £ and style! I also buy OTHER THINGS in there too Much admired shoes and a few clothes shock

Bunbaker Tue 26-Feb-13 17:15:40

The clothes are hit and miss. I bought a lovely cardigan from there on Sunday, but quite often the clothes seem to aimed at women a few decades older than me.

noddyholder Tue 26-Feb-13 18:09:39

Yes I agree but there are some bargains if you look. I am spectacularly fussy and bought a jacket there and some wedges

Can you link to the cardigan? I'm looking for a nice one.

Bunbaker Wed 27-Feb-13 11:41:39

It's this one. I bought it in aqua.

Thanks to this thread I had a little looksie yesterday and you were right! Lovely home stuff. I may have bought some cushions.

Now I just need to throw coffee over the old ones as an excuse to swap them over

Viviennemary Wed 27-Feb-13 11:48:55

I think their bedlinen is really good for the price.

sydlexic Wed 27-Feb-13 11:58:14

I admired a modern chrome and crystal light fitting in BHS, my DDS bought it for Mother's day. It is so bright I worry people with think it is a light house. It is beautiful though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now