Has anyone used Sash Window Workshop for sash window refurbishment?

(9 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MinimalistMommi Fri 15-Feb-13 09:56:48

...and was it super expensive? Are they a company you would recommend?

21march Fri 15-Feb-13 18:16:36

I have, and I wouldn't recommend, I'm sorry to say.

They're very expensive and the work is farmed out to freelance joiners; they're not company employees if I remember rightly.

They did an okay job on my massive 1860 windows but the sashes weren't weighted properly and within a year weren't working again. They claimed it was out of their guarantee period and at the time I was so super stressed I didn't take it further.

Eventually I had them restored by an independent local joiner that a neighbour recommended, and he did a super job for a third of the price. Perhaps ask around your local area/schoolgate or else approach a local joinery?

betterwhenthesunshines Fri 15-Feb-13 18:48:04

I don't know where you are based, but this might help.

We have a quote from Sash Window workshop and it was super £ so I didn't go with them. Instead we used Roy Williams who replaced all the sash windows at the rear of our house. That was 5 years ago and they still look immaculate ( haven't needed to redecorate them yet). He was fantastic to have in the house - fitted and touched up the decorating on 6 windows within 2 days. It wasn't cheap either, but was about third less than Sash Window I think. The double glazing units have white edges on the inside so you don't see any metal strip which I particularly like. We are West London but he's based in Middlesex and will travel.

We had another local joinery company remake some hardwood french windows and they were a PITA in comparison and all had to be decorated on site so the finish is not as good.

MinimalistMommi Sat 16-Feb-13 17:16:28

better thank you but it looks like they simply replace windows rather than refurbish. None of the wood is rotten on the sash windows so I'm not looking for replacement.

domesticslattern Sat 16-Feb-13 17:26:11

I used them 5 years ago and had a different experience, found them a good company (professional, tidy, good finish) and would use again though I might try harder to bargain the £££ price down as they have special loyalty deals. In fact I think we probably will go back to them when doing the front of the property.
BTW There are lots of companies with very similar names, it can be confusing.

MinimalistMommi Sat 16-Feb-13 17:31:43

domestics goodness knows how I can find a company that's really reliable.<sigh>
They're not in that bad a state, one of them rattles a bit etc but none are rotten. I just feel like they need a bit of attention before we pay £'s to have secondary glazing fitted.

I don't want to get ripped off as they're not rotten etc

WACG Sat 23-Feb-13 08:46:41

Hello Minimalist,

I have had no experience with that company, so I'm not sure. I have had my sash windows repaired, restored. They should start around 250.00£ for a average sized box sash window.

WACG Sat 23-Feb-13 08:52:56

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

minnow05 Fri 27-Sep-13 13:09:40

I wish I had found this thread earlier! Unfortunately have ordered several windows from Sash Window Workshop...they ARE super expensive and although the units are well made the fitting service is APPALLING. Several visits later from surly slap dash fitters the job still isn't done properly and I have asked them to leave the unit...I will get them fitted by my own joiner. Not what you are led to believe from the salesman and brochures...I would definitely not recommend and strongly suggest you look elsewhere!

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-May-14 19:06:24

Hello

The Sash Window Workshop have been in touch and have asked us to post up the following for them:

'At The Sash Window Workshop, we welcome feedback, both positive and negative. Having been in business for 20 years we are aware that there are a lot of companies who work in our space and who have very similar names, so there is sometimes confusion. Therefore we are grateful for the opportunity to clarify some of the comments in these posts. We pride ourselves on our after sales service and our guarantees range from 3 years to 20 years depending on the service provided. This covers a range of refurbishment services in addition to the supply and installation of timber windows and doors. All of our wooden windows and doors are manufactured in our workshop based in Bracknell, Berkshire. The business is family run and our installers are employed by us and are not freelance. If any previous or prospective customer has any feedback for us please do not hesitate to contact us at info@sashwindow.com.'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now