Ikea - Hemnes and Liathorp

(9 Posts)
LavenderBombshell Thu 14-Feb-13 13:55:10

Hi there ,
Does anyone have things in both these ranges in white? If so are they the same white or noticeably different ?
Trying to research without actually having to go to Ikea ....
Thank you
LB

CashmereHoodlum Thu 14-Feb-13 13:57:41

They are pretty similar. I've got both and haven't really noticed the difference, but I am not very good on housey stuff.

LavenderBombshell Thu 14-Feb-13 14:12:10

Thank You Cashmere . You have given my spare bedroom / study planning a boost.

SunnyUpNorth Fri 15-Feb-13 09:39:02

I don't have any of the Liathorp so can't help on colour comparisons. But I do have a couple of things from the hemnes range. It is really nice, sturdy stuff. But it is a creamy, off-white not a pure white.

LavenderBombshell Fri 15-Feb-13 10:28:21

Thanks Sunny,

I know what have to do is actually go to Ikea (but I hate it) . However good to know it is sturdy. This room has to be furnished for practical reasons but unfortunately the budget for it is restricted so I need something attractive and decent quality for a reasonable price. I would prefer the Hemnes desk but sadly it won't fit .

Thank you both
LB

SunnyUpNorth Fri 15-Feb-13 10:39:22

You could try Ebay or any large local antique furniture places.

I went to buy the hemnes wardrobe for my daughters room and it was £300. I thought that seemed really pricey for ikea. I ended up getting a gorgeous armoire for £250 on eBay which was much nicer and will last forever.

I am a bit of an eBay addict though so it depends if its your thing. But I also got a really solid pine dressing table for £50, and a small side board type table for £30 recently. I then painted them in the Annie Sloan paint. There is a thread about Annie Sloan on here if your search.

If you're on a budget, good quality second hand stuff might be a better option and actually a better buy.

(Having said that I adore out hemnes huge 8 drawer chest of drawers as it fits so much,survived a house move and has never chipped).

LavenderBombshell Fri 15-Feb-13 14:30:37

Sunny
That is a really good point re 2nd hand. What I am juggling is cost for that room versus it needs to be up and running quickly . At least with ikea I know it will be there and ready to go. Also with everything else I need to sort out will I realistically renovate something 2nd hand in time. It's a good point though , and normally I would absolutely agree with you. I will have a trawl through ebay though. Thanks , LB

SunnyUpNorth Fri 15-Feb-13 15:00:03

I agree it can be a pain having painting stuff hanging over your head but you may find something that's so nice it doesn't need to be painted or could be left plain for now and done up in the future.

Good luck!

mamapants Sat 16-Feb-13 09:21:29

Agree about the quality of the Hemnes range. Excellent sturdy furniture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now