Complete novice first time buyer

(22 Posts)
PseudoBadger Wed 13-Feb-13 22:59:25

Can anyone give me an opinion on this flat - namely could 2 adults, a 2 year old, a baby and 2 medium sized dogs live there? And any other thoughts/benefits/pitfalls of the flat.,n20-for-gbp-200,000-ref-2161724/#

Thanks so much smile

PseudoBadger Wed 13-Feb-13 22:59:54
LadyKooKoo Wed 13-Feb-13 23:10:02

No way! What happens when the 2 year old is five and the baby is 3? Where will you all sleep? Keep looking!

ClaraOswinOswald Wed 13-Feb-13 23:12:18

I agree, with 2 kids you must have a second bedroom. They just get bigger, accumulate more stuff and need room to be. You also need an adult bedroom as well as a family room (living room). It's just too small.

LadyKooKoo Wed 13-Feb-13 23:15:12

What is your budget? This is within 1/4 of a mile of the other one and is far more suitable size wise but is a bit more expensive. This one is also within 1/4 of a mile but is much cheaper and needs updating so would depend whether you were able to take on work.

noisytoys Wed 13-Feb-13 23:20:15

I live close to London it is fairly common to have 2 adults and 2 children in a 1 bed flat as long as there is enough storage etc it shouldn't be a problem

Chippychop Wed 13-Feb-13 23:22:58

It's too small. Rethink your options

PseudoBadger Thu 14-Feb-13 06:03:39

Thank you - I know it's too small, but you read on here all the time that 'people' squeeze into tiny places and make do. I've never been convinced so thank you for backing up my hunch!
Prices are just so ridiculous around here, and we are limited as one of my dogs is very noise sensitive so a bigger block like those you've linked to Lady wouldn't really work for us.
Budget is no more than 220k, but 200 preferable. We are crammed into my parents' place at the moment and I'm slowly going crazy.

LadyKooKoo Thu 14-Feb-13 08:01:14

How about this one? It is within budget, has its own garden and is within a mile of the other one. They also offer it with no chain (like you I assume) so could move quickly. If I have got the area wrong, please say as I don't know this area at all.

specialsubject Thu 14-Feb-13 11:32:09

ok if four of you are happy to sleep in the same room. The dogs will need to be outside all the time - at least you have your own garden.

a noise sensitive dog? Whatever next?

southnorwoodmum Thu 14-Feb-13 15:33:55

I like the idea of living small, but this is defo too small. You should look for 2 bedroom flat and even then I am not sure where you will keep the dogs?

PseudoBadger Thu 14-Feb-13 16:03:21

The dogs will be in kitchen/hallway if wet, and then in the main rooms the rest of the time. It's like they're part of the family.... grin
Anyway, yes it's too small, definitely. DP is so desperate to leave here that he's looking at anything.

Gingersnap88 Thu 14-Feb-13 21:41:39

Come to Kent, you could have a 3/4 bed house with garden on the fast train line to London wink unhelpful I know but I think you'd get cabin fever living in such a small house. At least with 2 bedrooms you can space it out a bit. Hope you find something soon.

Doingthedo Thu 14-Feb-13 21:49:19

come to the north, you could get a 4 bedroom house, garden, good schools and lots of lovely northerners as neighbours! <unhelpful>

Matildaduck Thu 14-Feb-13 21:52:03

Omg no way we could live in that ( same family and dogs) my ( northern) kitchen is bigger than the entire flat.

Leave london? Sorry not helpful.

BookWormery Thu 14-Feb-13 21:55:23

No, OP. Definitely not. You will all be miserable.

Rent instead of buy if you can't afford something bigger.

PseudoBadger Thu 14-Feb-13 21:57:15

Oh if we could find jobs we would move, definitely. DP would have to change career completely I think, and I'd have to find a council that's actually recruiting for my role at the moment. We're stuck in my parents' house for ever

PseudoBadger Thu 14-Feb-13 21:57:46

X post - rent with dogs here isn't easy sad

BookWormery Thu 14-Feb-13 22:00:52

Would you consider leaving the dogs with your parents or something? I can understand if they mean lots to you but you need to prioritise the four humans smile

I rent in London and would love to buy a family home so I completely sympathise x

PseudoBadger Thu 14-Feb-13 22:09:50

God no, they wouldn't want them! I don't know what to do any more to be honest sad Before DS we were renting in a dog-friendly property (through a family friend) at £1500 PCM - we quickly realised we couldn't pay 800 childcare and that much rent so moved back 'temporarily'......

BookWormery Thu 14-Feb-13 22:18:25

You can get cheaper than that. Two bed £1,000. Whereabouts in London are you? What's your search area?

BookWormery Thu 14-Feb-13 22:25:02

See that flat was in Barnet. Two bed terrace with a garden for 1,200. If you are willing to change area you could get cheaper still.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now