Showers!

(12 Posts)
EverybodyLovesWine Wed 13-Feb-13 18:26:26

We currently have a gravity fed shower in the en suite which is rubbish. The flow is slow and it doesn't get very hot. The one in the main bathroom (next to the airing cupboard) is fine.

One plumber has told us to replace with an electric shower (this has also come in as the cheapest option)

One has said to get a thermostatic mixer shower with a pump in the loft

A third has said thermo mixer shower but a pump in the loft (and said that the electric would still be slow as it would be from the cold water tank not the mains??)

We haven't got loads of money but want to get it right. We are also concerned that a pump would be noisy.

Can anyone advise what the best option would be? We know nothing!

I can't compare them I'm afraid, but we have an electric shower. The flow isn't exactly luxurious, but it's enough, even when I had very long thick hair to wash. Temperature wise I can't fault it, we never turn it past halfway or it's painful. It's also fairly old now, over 15 years I think, but we've only ever had to change the head once, no other work or repairs.

EverybodyLovesWine Wed 13-Feb-13 18:32:51

for option three I meant pump in the airing cupboard.....must preview posts!

nocake Wed 13-Feb-13 18:34:13

To make your decision harder... I used to have an electric pumped shower that drew hot water from the tank rather than heating it. Basically it gives you the same as a pump in the loft except it's a compact unit on the wall (and could be cheaper). Look for Power Showers on the Wickes website to see what they look like.

It also uses a lower current electrical supply than a normal electric shower so that will save a few more £.

nocake Wed 13-Feb-13 18:35:05

I should have added that it gives a much better shower than the electric one I had in a previous house.

bequiasweet Wed 13-Feb-13 18:43:32

I've always had a pump to pimp up the shower (I hate weak showers), and I assume the water comes from the hot water feed. The pump is sited under the bath. The pump makes the shower good and powerful, and you don't need one of those flimsy plastic boxes on the wall that scalds you then freezes you.
The 'tap' that turns my shower on and off is halfway up the wall and has a built in thermostat so you can turn it down if children are using it, turn it up if you want a really luxurious hot shower yourself.
I love it, but I had it installed 10 years ago, so you'll probably find you're not allowed to put pumps under baths these days. sad

Pannacotta Wed 13-Feb-13 19:12:18

I would ask another plumber for advice and see if they back up what any of the others have said, also talk to your local plumbers merchant for adivce.
A shower like this might be worth looking at
www.plumbworld.co.uk/triton-satellite-thermostatic-3596-17457

Princesspond Wed 13-Feb-13 19:25:09

We have a Mira digital shower with built in valve and pump. Like this www.plumbworld.co.uk/mira-platinum-biv-builtin-3242-21782. Aqualisa also do similar ones. I think the pump can be fitted anywhere including the attic. Ours is fab I particularly like the warm up function so you can step into a lovely warm shower.

BackforGood Wed 13-Feb-13 19:29:16

Nice thing about an electric one is you can still have a shower if your boiler breaks. Also, not affected by other things in the house drawing water - helpful if there's a few of you living together.

Princesspond Wed 13-Feb-13 19:29:22

Sorry realised that link is fairly expensive we got ours from a plumbers merchant who price matched the net for us I think it was about £400

fussychica England Thu 14-Feb-13 15:31:56

We are going for another electric shower
www.showerdoc.com/triton-aspirante-electric-shower-9-5kw-brushed-steel
half the price of Homebase

PigletJohn Fri 15-Feb-13 12:57:51

pumped shower.

Electric showers are pathetically weedy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now