Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

St Austell location ideas please

(10 Posts)
paddypaws76 Wed 13-Feb-13 13:42:22

Seen a couple of threads on here about this subject but our needs are a little bit more specific so here goes. Been thinking of a move to cornwall for a while and now we have a new baby due soon we thought it might be a good idea to start getting serious. I understand all the plus and minutes points of such a move hence why we thought st austell would be a good idea. We don't drive so that fact that its on the mainline would be helpful, not too touristy so bearable in the summer and affordable to. Has anyone got any suggestions on areas of St austell, would like to be within 2 miles of either charlestown or porthpean beaches because thats just about walking distance, we don't mind a walk, a primary school quite cose would be good to so any ideas would be great guys from people who live in the area or have experience of st austell. We also thought about falmouth penrin but the only thing there is that you have to get the train to truro before you can go anywhere else in the county. Cheers in advance.

paddypaws76 Wed 13-Feb-13 22:16:25

Anyone?

aylsham Wed 13-Feb-13 22:27:14

Hi I live outside Constantine and I think Penryn is an 'up and coming' place! far better than St Austell. Close to Falmouth, wide range of good value houses (for Cornwall), on the water and still got a village feel. it's an easy run into Truro by train to pick up main line trains. Constantine is fab for families by the way but not much good if you don't drive.

noisytoys Wed 13-Feb-13 22:56:27

My brother lives in St Austell near Asda he loves it there and my mum lives in Stenalees in the middle of nowhere. They don't even have a shop or a pub in their village!!

paddypaws76 Thu 14-Feb-13 09:31:46

Thanks for those suggestions I know st austell has had some bad press in the past much better now though, I know it doesn't necessarily have the coastline that people usually think of when they think of cornwall but any coastline is better than non right? Just had anoter look at property prices in Penryn and they seem to be on the way up, not much more than Falmouth itself now. We have friends near St Agnes but thats pretty overpriced these days and the nearest station is truro. Like I said I don't mind a bit of a walk to the coast, ut if you need to get on a bus to get anywhere near, would you actually do it that often? Can we just move the beach at Hayle and Perran and relocate it near St austell? Thanks again, all ideas are very helpful, excuse my spelling.

What about Par? (not too sure about st blazey or St Blazey gate myself?)
Mainline train station, Par beach. Bus to Asda, or Tesco.
In Par there is a chemist, convenience store take away.
this looks ok if its in your price range? Near a primary school
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-24959646.html.

Fowey - this is in same Road as primary school and pre school, Small beach in Fowey - Readymoney. There are loads of newish starter homes for sale in Hillhay @£165k upwards which are really popular with familes locally. There are convenience stores, fish shop and butchers and buses to St Austell - no supermarkets locally. (yet!)

I dont know St Austell that well and where the good bits are!

paddypaws76 Sun 17-Feb-13 11:52:25

Thanks for that link looks interesting. We thought about Par, looked at a few properties online there but so far haven't been for a visit. Fowey is nice but with no station I think it would be a bit of a nightmare getting around if we had to relie on the bus for everything, like I said don't mind a walk. Lst time we were in St Austell we walked from the station down to Charlestown and back and that was fine, wouldn't mind a walk of about that distance to get to the nearest beach. Anyway thanks for all the suggestions so far, thats great!

paddypaws76 Mon 18-Feb-13 14:35:47

Right just a little update Par seems like a good idea, any other thoughts on what sort of a place it would be to bring up children? It doesn't look too isolated with good bus routes and regular trains to st austell. What about the areas to the east of st austell, carclaze and the Jubilee Meadow area? Just wondering if it would be a pain to get to the coast farely easily from there without a car, just still looking for some more opinions on geography and that from some of you that know the area better. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I dont live far from Par, it seems nice to me. My other half is local so will ask him about it more in detail when he gets in!
He just came in carrying a bag of pasties grin, Carclaze, Boscoppa & Bethel are ok - mostly new Estates. Urban. He does not like concrete smile
You can see the coast from Carclaze there but might be a long walk, I had a friend who lived in Century Close - their house was nice. He said "if they havent got a car you are better off in Par for ease of getting to the coast."
Tywardreath is nice too.
pm me if you have any questions and I will find out if I can!

paddypaws76 Tue 19-Feb-13 11:41:27

Thanks for that info, theres a lot of affordable property in those areas of st austell but I guess you would have to walk it to get an idea of how far you would have to go to get a sniff of the sea. I know it would be down hill on the way there, and up hill on the way back smile Probably why Carlyon bay, Charlestown and anything near porthpean are pricey?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now