Builders and hoovers

(4 Posts)
PigletJohn Sun 10-Feb-13 20:27:42

for building dust, get yourself a canister vac, preferably a wet-and-dry one.

It will come with a cartridge filter (use it, and get a spare one) but it will work better if you buy some paper bags as well. They are about as big as pillowcases and wrap around the filter. Plaster dust clogs filters very fast.

You can get most of the dust off the cartridge with a stiff brush and banging the brush on the top. When it won't come clean you can wash it with warm water, a drop of detergent, and your brush to clean the pleats.

You will find one in the DIY sheds.

A domestic vac will be ruined. Hide it when the builders are in, and hide the hose and tools somewhere else.

Fizzylemonade Sun 10-Feb-13 10:13:30

I second what BeerTricksPotter said, my builder brought with him his own Henry hoover and cleaned up every day. The site was incredibly clean as he was very meticulous.

I never understand keeping something you don't like or that doesn't work well merely because it cost a lot of money <eyes friend who has kept her swags and pleats curtains because they were expensive and she hates them>

If you want a new hoover, go and buy yourself one grin

Our builders brought their own Henry and our boiler installer had one too, so I assume they are good with brick dust etc.

Yorky Sun 10-Feb-13 08:32:33

We are due to start building an extension at the end of the month which will involve knocking down some walls, removing some plaster and generally creating dust and mess.

We currently have a dyson (which I hate) but it wasn't cheap and I'm reluctant to look at this as an opportunity to kill it grin

Is it worth getting one for the duration of the build? Does anyone have any recommendations for an effective but not expensive hoover which is good with brick dust?

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now