missing bolts and nuts for bed .HELP!!!

(8 Posts)
Pudden Sun 10-Feb-13 07:27:35

update got the bed frame out of the garage to size up and our neighbour saw the nuts still in the holes!!! (blush x 100) despite me saying previously most emphatically that they were not. I am now officially a 'dozy moo'.

Next time he wants his trousers altering I may 'accidently' sew a teasel in the crotch...

thanks for everyones help

PigletJohn Fri 08-Feb-13 21:54:33

Search for "bed bolts" or "sleeve nuts"

There will be some on ebay.

You usually need an Allen key for the socket in the nut

If you have a set of drills you could try putting the shank in the hole in the bed to find one that fits.

Next time tie the nuts and bolts in two plastic bags and tie it to the bed.

ISeeSmallPeople Fri 08-Feb-13 18:03:51

Which hole is too small?

Could you try a completely different set of nuts & bolts?

ISeeSmallPeople Fri 08-Feb-13 18:02:38

Oh, sorry, just saw the website, don't realise they were closed!
Try a some local independent bed shop. Our one was lovely & had lots of spares in a drawer he kindly gave me for free when we lost our cot bolts.

Pudden Fri 08-Feb-13 15:47:53

just been given some M6 ones by a neighbour and the hole is too small! Knickers and blast; this will end up costing a fortune as i only need 4 of them. Iseesmallpeople they have closed their shop; the fates are 'agin me'!

RedBunny Fri 08-Feb-13 14:52:49

Most of the furniture bolts and barrel nuts are M6. If yours are and they have just been measured wrong by screwfix they would be easy to find in a good hardware store or at least order online. However, they are occasionally M8 and if this is the case, a light engineering/fabrication company can make some for you. (I never managed to find a supplier for them!!!) Obviously more expensive though.

ISeeSmallPeople Fri 08-Feb-13 11:48:01

Try here

delivered2you.co.uk/WebRoot/StoreDaily/Shops/eshop159039/MediaGallery/D2Y_Catalogue_2011.pdf

I can't see the size you need, but if nothing else you can check if the bloke in screw fix measured it right smile

Pudden Fri 08-Feb-13 09:56:17

I'm just about to bung the single beds back into a bunk bed so my daughter can have friends over for sleepovers and I CANNOT find the brass coloured barrel nuts that fit onto the bolts despite searching garage four times loft/hidey holes etc.

I've tried to get replacements but none are the right size- bolts are 140mm and bloke at screwfix says the nuts need to be M8 14mm ones. Can I find any? Can I shite! Nothing looks similar and I am fed up with my dearest child moaning on about the bed.

Would I be able to use normal nuts for this? I would have to hold on to the nut with long nosed pliers whilst tightening the bolt but can't think what else would do the job.

Bed is a solid, heavy wood one from defunct MFI

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now