Fuckity fuck - decorator woes

(13 Posts)
BerylStreep Mon 04-Feb-13 20:52:53

I am hacked off beyond words.

Our decorator was supposed to be starting on Friday to decorate our sitting room. He was supposed to be here in December, then we mutually agreed to put it off until the first week until January. He then had another job on, and was supposed to be starting this Friday.

We have had the room cleared for the last 3 weeks, and are camping out in the snug, with all of our furniture stored elsewhere.

He's thrown a hissy fit and sent me a text tonight saying he won't do the job now, because the insurance company have been 'hassling him' for detail on his quote. The insurance company called us tonight, the person authorised the work, but told us that our decorator had told him to 'f off if they didn't like his quote' blush.

I have phoned him to try to discuss, but he is not picking up. Have left a conciliatory message, but I am pretty sure he has made his mind up not to do the job.

Now I need to try to get a good decorator, who can do the job asap. Sounds easy, but we have had really crap ones in the past - so the good ones are worth holding on to.

Sigh. angry

thornrose Mon 04-Feb-13 20:56:22

I know a fab decorator where roughly are you?

lalalonglegs Mon 04-Feb-13 21:25:26

Move your furniture back and expect to wait a couple of months at least. It's not worth getting a crap decorator in a hurry.

Where are you - someone may at least be able to recommend someone?

BerylStreep Mon 04-Feb-13 22:32:14

Belfast.

<hopeful>

BerylStreep Mon 04-Feb-13 23:02:04

Actually I am really pissed off. This guy has all this rhetoric about 'I am as good as my word blah blah blah. When I say I'll do something I will do it, blah blah blah.'

Seethe.

DH is being annoyingly laid back about it all.

TomArchersSausage Mon 04-Feb-13 23:03:32

Checkatrade?

BerylStreep Tue 05-Feb-13 08:31:27

I will send a text today asking him if he has had a chance to listen to my message and reconsider. I'm not really expecting a reply, and tbh I am quite annoyed by his unprofessionalism, so not sure if I want him to do the job anyway, but he is good.

I have just remembered that my MIL mentioned she had a good decorator, so will give her a call, but dear knows when he would be available.

I hardly slept last night because of this.

Cosmosim Tue 05-Feb-13 09:45:53

Why would you ever hire a professional who 1/ didn't want to cooperate with an insurance company and answer questions about his quote (surely if he's a professional he would want repeat business from them). 2/ cursed at people trying to do their job (if he flies off the handle that easily just how verbally abusive will he be with you if you have a disagreement?) 3/ has hissy fits? You're the client for fucks sake. Why would you be begging him to do this job, plenty of others have the same skill and can do it without the attitude.

FlatCapAndAWhippet Tue 05-Feb-13 12:10:51

Crikey Beryl, there is no way on earth I would employ this person, the whole thing screams problems before they've even set foot in your home.

Any professional trades person is worth waiting for.

BerylStreep Tue 05-Feb-13 16:10:41

We have used him before, and he is very very good. Anyway, he hasn't responded to my text, so I guess we have been dumped as clients. It just feels so unnecessary and unfair. He knew when he gave the written quote it was going through the insurance. I contacted him and asked his permission before passing his number to the insurance company. It's just bizarre dealing with someone so volatile.

My MIL has given me the number of someone else, so I will give them a call.

mavornia Tue 05-Feb-13 23:12:50

Hi Beryl, I'm in Belfast and our decorator is due to finish our house early next week. He was recommended to us and I've been very pleased with him. Let me know if you don't get sorted with your mil and I'll send you his number

BerylStreep Wed 06-Feb-13 11:02:05

Thanks mavornia, that's really kind. I have just popped home to meet MIL's decorator, and I think he may be able to get us sorted (hopefully).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now