Water coming through kitchen light fitting

(7 Posts)
NeverBeenToMe Sun 03-Feb-13 19:42:32

Thats not good, is it?!

DD3 didnt notice the shower was aimed at the bathroom floor sad

Any advice about anything I should be doing while I wait for landlord to pick up his phone? sad

booface Sun 03-Feb-13 19:46:32

My ds (13) did the exact same thing and water poured thru the downlighters into the kitchen. I guess make sure you turn off the lights in the kitchen if it is coming thru the lights. I covered my granite island in case the ceiling came down (it didn't!).

Ran upstairs and pulled off the bath panel and threw towels under the bath where the water was pooling and coming into kitchen below.

TBH I was really worried, but it didn't bring the ceiling down and the marks left of the ceiling even dried out with no long lasting harm done!

Good luck!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 03-Feb-13 19:49:41

Our immersion tank burst, water came through the ceiling and light fittings but once it all dried out no lasting damage was done (we did have an electrician in to check it out though).

NeverBeenToMe Sun 03-Feb-13 19:53:23

thank you! have calmed down and established it came through two small areas and dripped off the spot light unit so maybe not quite so bad! I'll try and get the bath panel off.
. . .

PigletJohn Mon 04-Feb-13 02:08:30

you really ought to turn off the circuit breaker for the downstairs lights for at least 24 hours until it is fairly dry.

preferably take out all the bulbs now, and fit new ones after 24 hours. You will be able to feel if the old ones are wet. Some of the bulbs may pop and broken glass fall out. You can use plug-in table lamps while the circuit is off. If your consumer unit is RCD protected it may trip even with the lighting circuit off.

In an old house, quite a lot of dirt may come down with the water and the fittings will need to be taken off and replaced by new (it is possible to clean them, but new ones are very cheap, compared to the cost of labour).

The ceilings will need to be redecorated, but only after they are dry. The yellow stains will need white stain-block first, or white oil-based undercoat may do.

Any wet laminate floor or kitchen cabinets are likely to swell up and be ruined. Other flooring should be lifted so it can dry out fast to prevent mould and rot. Carpets, underlay and rugs should be taken up to dry as they will rot and be very smelly.

Read your insurance policy at least twice.

PigletJohn Mon 04-Feb-13 02:10:45

p.s.

turning off the light switch does not prevent live connections in the ceiling rose or light fitting, you have to turn off the breaker or pull out the fuse.

NeverBeenToMe Mon 04-Feb-13 16:16:25

Thanks for the detailed post piglet - much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now