Shiny stuff that goes behind the radiator to reflect heat back into the room.

(11 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Feb-13 15:15:08

Is it worth doing? I notices today that the wall behing our headboard was really hot as it's the wall the bathroom radiator is on.
The reviews are good but how much difference can it really make?

IDreamedADreamOfSausageRolls Sun 03-Feb-13 15:22:20

We've got some and I think it has made a slight difference. It only cost £5.99 (used this one from Homebase) and it can't hurt.

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Feb-13 15:24:42

Thanks IDreamed, I will get some of that tomorrow, you are right it can't hurt. How do you stick it on?

Virgil Sun 03-Feb-13 15:26:19

We have it behind our radiators and it does make a bit of a difference.

Have just finished lining the loft with it and that has definitely made a difference (and was super easy DIY)

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Feb-13 15:30:55

At least I will be able to tell, if our bedroom wall doesn't get as hot. Easy DIY Virgil I like the sound of that.

IDreamedADreamOfSausageRolls Sun 03-Feb-13 16:38:01

It comes with little double-sided foam sticky pads and you stick it to the wall with those. God knows how I will ever get them off if I want to redecorate but they certainly make installation easy - only fiddly bit is working out how far apart to cut the slits for the brackets that fix the radiator to the wall. smile

ThenWeTakeBerlin Sun 03-Feb-13 16:44:11

If you're feeling crafty, you could try making one? I did and it works smile

You just need cardboard and tin foil. Get a big box and cut a t-shirt shape (or cut a big square and stick two bits on the side, where the 'arms' would be, iyswim).

You want the square big enough to cover the back of the radiator and the two side bits to hang it at the back.

Another plus is that you can just pick it up and move it, no sticking to walls.

MrsHoarder Sun 03-Feb-13 16:50:41

I got some from lidl, but only put it on eternal radiators (don't care if the bathroom radiator heats the landing). It came with paste to stick it to the wall and each one only took two mins.

InkleWinkle Sun 03-Feb-13 19:24:49

I just noticed it at PIL's yesterday. Do you have to take the radiators off to put it on?

Sparklingbrook Mon 04-Feb-13 15:27:00

Thanks all. i still haven't got out to buy some but definitely going to give it a go in some form. Radiators are staying on Inkle, I'm not that good at DIY stuff.

PigletJohn Mon 04-Feb-13 16:03:05

radiators stay on.

you cut slots in it to fit over the radiator brackets. The slots start at the bottom and don't go all the way to the top.

If you have a radiator shelf, the top of the insulation will probably not show. It wil get quite dirty from the convection currents carrying dust past it. It might be possible to fix it to a clean wall using blobs of blu-tak, I haven't tried. It is only needed on cold external walls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now