Hertfordshire or Essex?

(4 Posts)
sparklechops Sun 03-Feb-13 13:12:33

We are moving out of SE London, we think. But where to? Looking at Hitchin as a possible as it's convenient for DH's work. He can commute in to Kings Cross. Also easier for me to travel up on train to see my family in Yorkshire from Hitchin.

But DH has family in Chelmsford so this is also a possibility.

We are first time buyers with £250k budget so we could get a small house with garden in either Hitchin or Chelmsford.

Anyone got experience of either or both places?

Dd is nearly one so I would like to join mum and toddler groups. I would also be working part time from home and occasionally commuting into London. So we would be looking for a good nursery or child minder for her some days.

Grateful for any pointers!

BrookeDavis Sun 03-Feb-13 21:40:34

Hitchin is lovely. Loads to do with kids, plenty of mum & toddler groups, soft play centre, lido etc. Reasonable amount for adults too if you get a babysitter. Nurseries are quite over subscribed so you may be better with a childminder. Also lots of lovely villages nearby where you'll get more for 250k. And a really easy commute.

But personally I'd go for family support (if they're the helpful family sort)

Heartstart Sun 03-Feb-13 21:53:23

Hi I am from Essex and live in Herts. I don't think there is much in it tbh, Chelmsford has v v good schools I don't know about Hitchin.

sparklechops Mon 04-Feb-13 09:27:05

Thanks, both of you. Good to hear Hitchin has loads to do for families as this is where we are slightly edging towards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now