What to paint skirting boards with?

(19 Posts)

Hi All, me again.

OK. We have primed and undercoated (some of) the skirting boards and now need a satin / eggshell paint to finish them off. I know I just want white and my mil has recommended Dulux (it's what she has always used) but I have been reading up about it turning yellow and now have no idea what I am supposed to use!

So, I presume the Crown equivalent yellows too? Should I use a F&B (All White Eggshell)? Is it worth the extra money?

Please can anyone tell me a satin / eggshell (guess that's best to use?) paint that is hard wearing but won't yellow.

Thanks in advance smile

fridayfreedom Sat 02-Feb-13 21:44:59

I used Dulux white gloss in the hall and yes it turned yellow, was very upset because it took ages!!!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sat 02-Feb-13 21:48:53

I used Wilkinson's own, no yellowing here (satinwood)

Poor you Friday. I feel your pain!

hell - how long ago dd you paint them?

fridayfreedom Sat 02-Feb-13 22:00:08

It turned yellow within weeks including behind my dressing gown on my bedroom door, can't be bothered to do it all again so am putting up with the creamy colour rather than white.

PigletJohn Sun 03-Feb-13 10:17:44

Waterbased paint does not yellow.

Oil-based gloss is harder wearing. It will yellow in the absence of sunlight. The formulations have improved over the last. year or two since low V.O.C. paints first became compulsory.

Thanks PigletJohn.

What do you pait your skirting boards with?

*paint

PigletJohn Sun 03-Feb-13 14:20:26

Not-white oil gloss. I don't like water based gloss, I think it is not as durable.

I find eggshell holds the dirt and is difficult to clean.

I use satinwood on radiators.

sausagesandwich34 Sun 03-Feb-13 14:25:59

Dulux did have a problem with their white turning yellow very quickly when the new rules on vocs came in
They have since reformulated the paint so it's no longer a problem
You need to look for a triangle on the top of the tin so you know it's the current formular

If you get it from b&q or other big chain it will be fine as they swapped all the stock over

Thanks PigletJohn.

That's great information sausage. I did notice that Crown had a warning on their tin but there wasn't one on the Dulux one.

wendybird77 Mon 04-Feb-13 07:28:33

I've just put Little Greene Intelligent Eggshell on mine (in a dark colour). It is supposed to be very durable, but I can't vouch for that as it's only been up a few weeks. It has taken 3 coats to cover though - so a bit of a faff there. I love their intelligent emulsion, so hopefully this will be as good.

betterwhenthesunshines Mon 04-Feb-13 15:36:14

Intelligent paint ??? What's that then? Need to know more. Not sure if I want my paint to be more intelligent than me grin

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 04-Feb-13 15:42:34

Been on a good couple of years now, my personal preference is for matt woodwork which is why we use satinwood

wendybird77 Mon 04-Feb-13 16:37:03

Tis this!. A very poncy name for acrylic eggshell. I wanted it for the colour, but if you want white I am sure there are less expensive ways to achieve it!

Fizzylemonade Mon 04-Feb-13 18:40:48

We did ours in Leyland white eggshell from Screwfix which I have to say having painted miles of skirting, doors and architrave in the past I found it to be very good. I previously used Crown or Dulux. That was 3 years ago.

However, we have literally just bought around 4 tester pots as we no longer want brilliant white. We want a grey tone to it. That way I don't constantly see all the scuff marks in the hall etc and can go longer between coats.

We stupidly saw a property on TV and fell in love with the dark grey skirting, it won't quite work in our house as that is too dark but we definitely want grey.

I have used the water based ones and I don't rate them very much, they don't stand up to as many knocks as eggshell or gloss.

Thanks all. After doing all of the skirting boards in a 4 bed house (undercoat and primer only so far) I have absolutey no intention of having to do them gain any time soon, so I guess I will use satinwood and keep my fingers crossed it doesn't yellow

PigletJohn Tue 05-Feb-13 00:39:42

if using a water paint over an oil undercoat, give it a week to dry and wipe the surface lightly with fine sandpaper, then dust off with a barely damp cloth. Traces of solvent in the surface will prevent the water paint from adhering. If this starts to happen, you will notice quite quickly; stop painting and give it another week.

The Dulux Trade paints with the yellow-resistant White low-VOC formula have blue lids. I don't know about non-Trade.

Satinwood is also very suitable for radiators.

Thanks again PigletJohn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now