Cavity wall insulation, I say yes dh says no

(39 Posts)
WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Fri 25-Jan-13 18:51:36

Looking for advice from someone who knows more about insulation than me that'll be 99% of the population

We have an old house that is fucking freezing. When you put your hand on a internal wall it feels ok but an external wall is freezing. Our brick work isn't great so we are getting the sides and back rendered (front is ok).

Once we have had the rendering done I want to put in cavity wall insulation but dh is worried about damp and says no.

Anyone have any advice?

Lelivre Tue 01-Apr-14 17:04:11

Pigletj thank you - we discounted it before but I think we will look again.

Piscivorous Tue 01-Apr-14 00:23:53

Interestingly the company who would have insulated ours used PVA coated polystyrene beads where British Gas, who wouldn't, use the water-repellent fibre.

I'm a bit miffed that our house is not suitable as we are in an exposed coastal location too and it gets noticeably colder in one part of the house when it is windy. I was looking forward to being warm!

Four I can't remember who the other company were. I'll check with DH and report back

OliviaBenson Mon 31-Mar-14 07:24:46

I'd be concerned about cavity insulation combined with new render- if you are rendering using cement, it can trap in damp and the cavity insulation may exacerbate this.

PigletJohn Sun 30-Mar-14 20:13:40

I say yes. It improves comfort a lot, and cuts your fuel bills. The walls will be warmer.

If you have a faulty wall that lets in water, or a spilling gutter, get it fixed. I am in an exposed coastal location and mine is fine. The fibre is water-repellent.

Use a reputable installer, not some itinerant door to door salesman. They will inspect for suitability and if they get it wrong, can be forced to suck it out.

funnyossity Sun 30-Mar-14 18:06:38

A builder friend of mine said no. The cavity is there to stop driving rain getting through. If you are in a house regularly subject to driving rain I would not want to risk it.

Lelivre Sun 30-Mar-14 17:57:03

I'm trying to unpick this - is it yay or nay to cavity wall?

AnotherSpinningFuckingRainbow Sun 30-Mar-14 11:20:01

No, quite the reverse! jeff?

PPPpickUPaPenguin Sun 30-Mar-14 10:59:28

Well it is not to sell cavity wall insulation if she has.

AnotherSpinningFuckingRainbow Sun 30-Mar-14 10:46:39

Have you signed up to MN just to post about cavity wall insulation, Fourby4?

Fourby4 Sun 30-Mar-14 09:46:55

Absolutely correct CWI has caused £10000 worth of damage to my parents'house.

CIGA is not independent it is run by the installation industry.

tobiasfunke Sat 29-Mar-14 18:47:50

What do you have on the floors if not carpet?
I just ask because if it is sanded floorboards then this will be making your house really cold.
We live in an old draughty farmhouse with really thick stone walls- our family room is generally at 8 degrees in the morning in the winter without the heating on. We have a woodburner and loads of insulation in the loft and a wood floor with insulation underneath it. on top of the supended floor. It heats up very quickly. The rooms with sanded floorboards we have either carpeted and put heavy wool underlay or laid wooden flooring with insulation - it's made a massive difference.

Fourby4 Sat 29-Mar-14 18:32:05

Absolutely correct. Well done British Gas. The first company wasn't the Mark Group by any chance?

Fourby4 Sat 29-Mar-14 18:29:34

What Jeffrey Howell describes is exactly what has happened to my parents. He could be writing about my parents' predicament. He also replied to me in person. The Mark Group have never replied to my parents even with recorded delivery letters. Refer to review centre/ mark group. We aren't all wrong. The only qualifications required to install are a three day City and Guilds course. The 'survey' was written by someone who is semi-literate. He also alerted me to CIGA's lack of independence. He is absolutely correct. They are totally controlled by the installation industry. I believe this will be on the scale of endowment misselling as people's properties deteriorate.

PigletJohn Sat 29-Mar-14 13:33:54

BTW the risk of cracking Accrington Reds will be that they are very hard, and difficult to drill. It is not actually the CWI that might damage them.

EthelDorothySusan Sat 29-Mar-14 13:29:26

They won't give you have the cavity wall insulation if they can't see your damp proof course. They won't let you have the loft insulation if you have a loft room, as you have to have so much insulation.

PigletJohn Sat 29-Mar-14 01:24:11

I am very keen on using a well-established company with a reputation to look after, and the resources to stand behind its guarantee. I never touch itinerant door-to-door salesmen.

I had mine done by BG, but most of the other energy companies offer a scheme. BG are currently offering subsidised installation.

The installer is responsible for carrying out a suitability survey, and can be forced to rectify or remove a bad installation if they get it wrong. It sounds like BG correctly carried out the assessment and are avoiding getting themselves into trouble.

Piscivorous Sat 29-Mar-14 01:16:25

We had thought about insulation but had heard bad things about damp after it and our house was not eligible in the first round of government subsidies as it is over 100 years old and on the coast so higher risk.

We recently had a company round offering to do this on a government scheme. Their plan was to use the foam balls but apparently the newest stuff is PVA coated so are tacky and form a lattice, they don't settle as much as the old ones did. We were on the verge of signing then had a call from British Gas who are offering insulation too so we decided to get a survey from them too as a second opinion.

Their surveyor said absolutely do not do it. The house is Accrington brick with narrow mortar joints, he said there was a high risk of cracking bricks which could spoil the appearance of the house and a very high risk of damp. He also said that the amount of money saved for an average 4 bed detached house was only around £250 per year so not worth the risk

PigletJohn Sat 29-Mar-14 01:11:37

there is a body of opinion that Jeffrey Howell is wrong. He is a great self-publicist.

Theonlyoneiknow Sat 29-Mar-14 00:14:37

There is a website you can check to see if your house isin an area of driving rain. Its the one thing that is,making me question doing it, especially after this winter

dumbanddumberer Fri 28-Mar-14 19:38:20

Get qualified advice first, all the 40's houses round here were done & many have significant problems with mould caused by condensation now. It's a real pain to sort.

Fourby4 Fri 28-Mar-14 18:20:12

After they caused 10k worth of damage to my parents house I wrote to Ed Davey the environment secretary. Apparently the energy companies fund the installation by govt obligation. In other words they raise consumer bills to pay for the work so nobody saves. Also after investigating a bit more Ofgem has no concrete figures to identify complaints and problems with CWI. However energy suppliers suggest that 17% of all installations encounter problems. I would also guess that this is underestimated as no official figures are collated.

CIGA is not independent it is controlled and funded by the installation industry.

Fourby4 Fri 28-Mar-14 18:19:19

Don't do it, it has caused 10000 worth of damage to my parents house.
CIGA isn't independent it's funded by the industry. Google Jeffrey Howell who writes for the Sunday Telegraph and the Which report. Avoid the Mark Group

BooToYouToo Sat 26-Jan-13 20:23:43

Get it done!

Our living room was freezing but now it's one of the warmest rooms in the house. We got ours for free under the British Gas scheme.

bumbez Sat 26-Jan-13 19:57:56

Our last house an Edwardian detached had had wall insulation recently installed when we bought it. 8 years on when we sold the house it was damp in all the downstairs rooms- not that we ever noticed, but was picked up on the survey.

I've read somewhere that it can also cause wall ties to corrode a lot quicker and ours also needed replacing.

The house was really warm though and on the strength of that my dm went ahead and got her 1940 's semi insulated, she's had an ongoing problem with mildew on the ceiling in the smallest bedroom and has had to rely on a condensation extractor thingy ( can't for the life of me think of what it's called)

If we'd known who had done our cavity wall Insulation we might have been able to claim but the vendor didn't pass on that information.

ibbydibby Sat 26-Jan-13 19:37:38

Would get it done if you can.....ours is 1930s house, walls have cavities BUT they are not wide enough for cavity wall insulation. We got 2 different firms out for quotes and they both said that.

Instead, we consulted a builder, and he suggested insulated plasterboard - fitted internally, on the external wall (if that makes sense). We lost about half an inch off width of lounge, but it has made a hugggge difference. Eg yesterday morning, came down at 6am, heating hadn't come in (low pressure in boiler - soon sorted) - but despite low temps outside I was able to sit and eat breakfast before asking DH to sort boiler. We are so pleased with the difference that it has made that we really want to get 2 other "cold" rooms done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now