Electrical buzzing noise coming from floorboards and ceiling

(14 Posts)
DontEvenThinkAboutIt Fri 25-Jan-13 00:06:57

At least it is sorted smile

EnterNicknameHere Fri 25-Jan-13 00:00:57

sorry for bad grammer, on the phone again grin

EnterNicknameHere Thu 24-Jan-13 23:59:59

blush the noise was a loose glass panel above the door. when one of the floorboards are walked on or the doorframe is touched it vibrates blush how embarrasing. and the light that wont always turn on is due to a faulty bulb. and to think i sat iwm the dark for thathmm

DontEvenThinkAboutIt Thu 24-Jan-13 21:47:37

Dimmer switches can be very buzzy indeed.

PigletJohn Thu 24-Jan-13 20:29:13

have you got any fluorescent lights?

PigletJohn Thu 24-Jan-13 20:28:22

that's good.

If you turned off two circuits and the noise stopped, turn one of them on for a bit.

If the noise is heat-dependent, it may not start straight away.

Do you have any timeswitches?

Does the noise depend on your cetral heating being on?

EnterNicknameHere Thu 24-Jan-13 19:00:33

right power back on. i have turned upstairs sockets and lights off. so far no noisesmile

EnterNicknameHere Thu 24-Jan-13 18:53:56

will it be ok to turn downstairs power do you think. i would kill for a coffee right now. no no dimmers or spotlights. the light in the hall downstairs soetimes doesnt work, if i switch it off then immediately turn it on again it doesnt workconfused

PigletJohn Thu 24-Jan-13 18:36:50

I wonder if you have downlighters or spotlights with 12volt bulbs and a transformer in the ceiling. Dimmer switches can also buzz.

BTW it is a bit OTT to turn off all the power. If you have multiple MCBs (trip switches) in the consumer unit you can turn off the circuits one at a time until you find one that stops the noise.

The MCBs will (should) be labelled with circuit names such as "upstairs lights" "Cooker" "Downstairs sockets"

TynesideBlonde Thu 24-Jan-13 18:18:10

At first I thought it was someone in the next door property hoovering (but quietly lol), then I thought I had some weird Tinnitus that only comes on in the house. It is consistent in every room, never gets louder/changer pitch. It's been like that since we moved in over 2 yrs ago - but we had a full rewire.

Hope they come soon so you don't have to sit in the cold too long.

EnterNicknameHere Thu 24-Jan-13 18:06:15

hi, i am waiting for someone from our housing association to come out. they have told me to turn the power off at the mains. so it is freezing. seems like it may be a wiring problem. the buzzing gets louder when i walk in a particulas part of his room confused wonder what that itut. sorry for any typos i am on my phone using the mumsnet app but i cant actually see the message box.

TynesideBlonde Thu 24-Jan-13 17:48:27

I have this in my house too! Drives me mad. We call it The Noise...

EnterNicknameHere Thu 24-Jan-13 17:28:39

There is a strange buzzing noise

EnterNicknameHere Thu 24-Jan-13 17:27:37

sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now