Help me shop for a bath!

(15 Posts)
wendybird77 Wed 23-Jan-13 16:23:15

Lolalotta - No idea? Maybe we have different expectations of how long a bath should stay hot, or how long we stay in the bath (I tend not to take long baths when I take them - I get bored easily grin).

Thanks all for the advice. I'm still faffing about with it, but feel now that any of the above options will work. Now I'm thinking I like the price of the acrylic one and I may just paint the plastic - ha!

lolalotta Tue 22-Jan-13 13:40:30

I wonder why my cast iron bath gets so cold quickly???

noddyholder Tue 22-Jan-13 10:16:26

I love the copper one have seen in a bathroom and its lovely

wendybird77 Tue 22-Jan-13 10:14:34

So I've got votes for a roll top and the boat bath. Can someone just tell me what to do? grin Thank you.

weegiemum Tue 22-Jan-13 08:15:39

We have a very modern sink, double shower unit, modern storage and a very old cast iron roll top bath we got from a salvage and painted. Walls and bath are terracotta, floor to mid-wall limestone tiles (my big splash - from Fired Earth!).

I went to a fantastic salvage/restorer in Edinburgh here and we love what we got!

Sadly we had to move for work reasons and rent that house now - other people loving my lovely bath!!

noddyholder Tue 22-Jan-13 08:14:05

Our bath was never cold or uncomfy I loved it. I know the look younare after and you are Ipoh the right track

noddyholder Tue 22-Jan-13 08:13:06

Love modern sinks with old style bath I had that in my last development and it was what sold her the house. Get the one you love.

wendybird77 Tue 22-Jan-13 08:09:28

Ok, what about this one? More modern, but not too modern? I could prime and paint myself so it isn't so shiny plastic maybe.

wendybird77 Tue 22-Jan-13 07:51:26

Thanks all. It is tricky as what I really wanted was an american farmhouse sink - but can't find anyone who will ship one over! The ikea ones were the closest I could find. The hexagon penny tiles are a traditional floor covering in the US, not a modern one. What I really want is an updated 1930s american look (like an update of my grandmother's bathroom) which I'm having trouble putting together in the UK! I have had several cast iron tubs before and have never found them cold or uncomfortable. The second tub I would get in a primer and paint - not the copper! I thought the shape was simpler.

Will check out the links for other options - thank you!

Hate roll top baths, style over substance IMO - how the feck do you clean under them properly and won't a cast iron one get bloody cold. And from what you have said about modern sinks and tiles will look completely out of place

Have a look at Duravit - they do a range called Happy D which is excellent - they are great quality and not stupid expensive either.

lolalotta Tue 22-Jan-13 06:07:01

I have an original cast iron bath at the moment in the property I rent, gets so cold so very quickly, I am constantly having to top it up which is a pain and not particularly pleasant!!!! sad
PLUS have you actually sat in one? I find them not very comfy, they crunch my shoulders up on the curve....I woukdn't buy one myself personally though agree they do look stylish! HTH!!!!

fatnfrumpy Mon 21-Jan-13 23:47:25

www.plumbworld.co.uk

fatnfrumpy Mon 21-Jan-13 23:43:14

In my humble opinion the first bath does not go with the very modern sink. As for the second bath?
Also i am sure you will find a cheaper freestanding bath than that.
I was recommended a website from other Mnetters on our last project.
Hang on while I find it!!

Pooka Mon 21-Jan-13 22:09:27

www.albionbathco.com/free-standing-roll-top-bath/rolltop-free-standing-bath.html

We have a bath (the trident) from the albion bath company. It's fab. The legs are less ornate than the one you linked to first, I think. I cant remember the price right now. We bought ours unfinished - painted ourselves with fired earth colour - a very dark green to contrast with lighter tongue and groove) which was cheaper.

wendybird77 Mon 21-Jan-13 22:02:13

I have just bought these sinks for our new bathroom. There will be two sinks, separate shower, loo and a freestanding bath (and a giant cupboard for the washing machine and dryer grin). I need help deciding on a bath. The look for the house is sort of 'modern farmhouse'. I thought I was going for this roll top bath but am having a wobble. The feet are quite ornate and I want simple. I do like a cast iron rather than plastic as I want to paint it. Is such a traditional bath going to work with my basins? Should I be looking for something more modern? I love this bath but it is more than I've budgeted for. Maybe I should cut costs elsewhere and get it though - will it look better? Or should I go for a more modern plastic bath.

I'm having matt white hexagonal mosaic tiles with grey grout, a bead board false wall to hide the pipes in which will end up painted some colour, and satin black column radiators under the windows.

Help me please! Work starts in 2 weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now