Help me shop for a bath!

(15 Posts)
wendybird77 Mon 21-Jan-13 22:02:13

I have just bought these sinks for our new bathroom. There will be two sinks, separate shower, loo and a freestanding bath (and a giant cupboard for the washing machine and dryer grin). I need help deciding on a bath. The look for the house is sort of 'modern farmhouse'. I thought I was going for this roll top bath but am having a wobble. The feet are quite ornate and I want simple. I do like a cast iron rather than plastic as I want to paint it. Is such a traditional bath going to work with my basins? Should I be looking for something more modern? I love this bath but it is more than I've budgeted for. Maybe I should cut costs elsewhere and get it though - will it look better? Or should I go for a more modern plastic bath.

I'm having matt white hexagonal mosaic tiles with grey grout, a bead board false wall to hide the pipes in which will end up painted some colour, and satin black column radiators under the windows.

Help me please! Work starts in 2 weeks!

Pooka Mon 21-Jan-13 22:09:27

www.albionbathco.com/free-standing-roll-top-bath/rolltop-free-standing-bath.html

We have a bath (the trident) from the albion bath company. It's fab. The legs are less ornate than the one you linked to first, I think. I cant remember the price right now. We bought ours unfinished - painted ourselves with fired earth colour - a very dark green to contrast with lighter tongue and groove) which was cheaper.

fatnfrumpy Mon 21-Jan-13 23:43:14

In my humble opinion the first bath does not go with the very modern sink. As for the second bath?
Also i am sure you will find a cheaper freestanding bath than that.
I was recommended a website from other Mnetters on our last project.
Hang on while I find it!!

fatnfrumpy Mon 21-Jan-13 23:47:25

www.plumbworld.co.uk

lolalotta Tue 22-Jan-13 06:07:01

I have an original cast iron bath at the moment in the property I rent, gets so cold so very quickly, I am constantly having to top it up which is a pain and not particularly pleasant!!!! sad
PLUS have you actually sat in one? I find them not very comfy, they crunch my shoulders up on the curve....I woukdn't buy one myself personally though agree they do look stylish! HTH!!!!

Hate roll top baths, style over substance IMO - how the feck do you clean under them properly and won't a cast iron one get bloody cold. And from what you have said about modern sinks and tiles will look completely out of place

Have a look at Duravit - they do a range called Happy D which is excellent - they are great quality and not stupid expensive either.

wendybird77 Tue 22-Jan-13 07:51:26

Thanks all. It is tricky as what I really wanted was an american farmhouse sink - but can't find anyone who will ship one over! The ikea ones were the closest I could find. The hexagon penny tiles are a traditional floor covering in the US, not a modern one. What I really want is an updated 1930s american look (like an update of my grandmother's bathroom) which I'm having trouble putting together in the UK! I have had several cast iron tubs before and have never found them cold or uncomfortable. The second tub I would get in a primer and paint - not the copper! I thought the shape was simpler.

Will check out the links for other options - thank you!

wendybird77 Tue 22-Jan-13 08:09:28

Ok, what about this one? More modern, but not too modern? I could prime and paint myself so it isn't so shiny plastic maybe.

noddyholder Tue 22-Jan-13 08:13:06

Love modern sinks with old style bath I had that in my last development and it was what sold her the house. Get the one you love.

noddyholder Tue 22-Jan-13 08:14:05

Our bath was never cold or uncomfy I loved it. I know the look younare after and you are Ipoh the right track

weegiemum Argentina Tue 22-Jan-13 08:15:39

We have a very modern sink, double shower unit, modern storage and a very old cast iron roll top bath we got from a salvage and painted. Walls and bath are terracotta, floor to mid-wall limestone tiles (my big splash - from Fired Earth!).

I went to a fantastic salvage/restorer in Edinburgh here and we love what we got!

Sadly we had to move for work reasons and rent that house now - other people loving my lovely bath!!

wendybird77 Tue 22-Jan-13 10:14:34

So I've got votes for a roll top and the boat bath. Can someone just tell me what to do? grin Thank you.

noddyholder Tue 22-Jan-13 10:16:26

I love the copper one have seen in a bathroom and its lovely

lolalotta Tue 22-Jan-13 13:40:30

I wonder why my cast iron bath gets so cold quickly???

wendybird77 Wed 23-Jan-13 16:23:15

Lolalotta - No idea? Maybe we have different expectations of how long a bath should stay hot, or how long we stay in the bath (I tend not to take long baths when I take them - I get bored easily grin).

Thanks all for the advice. I'm still faffing about with it, but feel now that any of the above options will work. Now I'm thinking I like the price of the acrylic one and I may just paint the plastic - ha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now