tell me about your home

(133 Posts)
MrsBucketxx Wed 16-Jan-13 13:46:35

As I'm feeling a bit jealous that everyone seems to live in bigger homes than me tell me about yours

This is mine here

I would love something with more space but I can only dream at the moment.

softpaw Thu 17-Jan-13 14:52:32

Just moved from a 2 bed 3rd floor flat,in highly desirable commuter belt area,to a 3 bed Victorian semi in the sticks......so,it's a longer commute,and I'm miles from a supermarket...but am I happy,looking out at the overgrown garden and thinking about the spring?

CheerfulYank Thu 17-Jan-13 15:03:11

We bought ours (1300 sq feet, huge back yard) for about 67,000 pounds five years ago. Immediately afterward prices plummeted further. You could practically get a lake home for that now, or at least something much bigger.

I'm not bitter. grin

noisytoys Thu 17-Jan-13 16:21:44

I live in a 2 bed converted flat on the end of a parade of shops. It's the only flat on the block that isn't above a shop but still the same size so about the same size as most 3 bed houses round here. Big rooms. No outside space though so it feels claustrophobic at times. We are hoping to move to a 2/3 bed house in the next few years. It will be more expensive but all ours and we will have a patio or small garden

mrscog Thu 17-Jan-13 16:48:34

We're in a 2 bed terraced new build. Walk in to a narrow hallway, small kitchen and downstairs loo and stairs off the hall then in to a fairly large (by new build standards) lounge/diner. 2 reasonable sized bedrooms & a small bathroom upstairs.

We'd like more space before we think about a DC2, but for the three of us it's fine plus the mortgage is nothing compared with renting.

I just hate the lounge diner - my next house will be a kitchen diner. I've been looking at new builds recently and loads of them are still building in the lounge diner format - I bloody hate it. I'm in Worcs too (in fact have met OP <waves smile>) and there seems to be a major aversion to kitchen diners here!

MrsBucketxx Thu 17-Jan-13 16:57:57

Hi thats one of the reasons we bought this one I hate the lounge diner arangement. The barratt homes up the road have more bedroom space, but havea lounge diner,

Waves back mrscog

mrscog Thu 17-Jan-13 18:10:33

Were they they the B.... Road ones? If so they were the ones I was looking at! They clearly have never had to do finger foods with a 10 month old with a beige carpet!

MrsBucketxx Thu 17-Jan-13 18:25:59

its just off the b road. but mine is further up that road near the island at the top.

barrats had more square footage but didn't work for us.

MusicalDoodle Thu 17-Jan-13 18:44:47

You know when you are driving out into the 'inner ringpiece' of the 'arse end of nowhere' - lots of fields and country lanes ... and suddenly there is a row of 1930s council house terraces ... brick at the bottom, rendered at the top....That's me on the end.

My house is big (4 bed), cosy, smells of dog and is a bit scruffy round the edges ... just like me really grin

Angelfootprints Thu 17-Jan-13 18:53:15

Yes what is with lounge diners in the newer houses ?why, oh why?

ForeverProcrastinating Thu 17-Jan-13 18:53:24

We bought our 250+ year old cob (= horse shit, mud and straw) detached 3 bed cottage 7 years ago, it's in a quiet spot yet 3 miles from town (SW). Warm in winter (log fire), cool in summer but needs some tlc now. The roof used to be thatched but the tiles they put on in the 50's made the whole house sag, so it's got internal beams holding it up - I kid you not. Great garden, neighbours have a fab swimming pool that we use in the summer.
I am seriously tempted by a Redrow home, I would give anything for a straight wall.

HecateWhoopass Thu 17-Jan-13 18:57:17

Little 2 bed semi in the derbyshire dales.
Tiny kitchen! Bathroom upstairs and shower room downstairs. Little back room. Small living room. Garden front and back.

MusicalDoodle Thu 17-Jan-13 19:04:42

Oh and it hasn't been a council house for years - and needs a lot of work but a lot of stuff we could do to it (new windows, new lean to) wouldn't make it be worth any more - because it is what it is.

But it has a lot of space and is perfect for our 12 million 3 1/2 dogs

Our home is a bog standard 4bed (3+box room) new build. The rooms are so ungenerous that my Turkish rug practically covers the entire width of the lounge. It has no utility room. It does have an added conservatory, if we ever lived in it again, I'd rip that out and replace with a proper room, maybe extending the kitchen out at the same time, but that would eat into the titcy backyard somewhat. Thankfully someone else is suffering the blandness enjoying it right now.

But where we rent, it is an extremely odd layout. Ground floor apartment Our bedrooms are too narrow by about 5 feet and we can only have the bed longways in the room, with only room for 1 side table, not 2. DS2's room is teeny, DS1's room is at the front and he is always woken by homeless going through the recycling looking for cans, or racoons trying to get in the garbage, or some other noise. At the back there is an odd room that you walk through to get to the laundry which looks like a tack on as it's cold. The landlady also put a loo in there which is so small, when I sit, my leg touches the wall. We'd like to move, but we have a garden which is hard to get and we don't know how much longer we'll be here to go through the pain of a move. There is a coat cupboard as you walk in the front door. Great. If you go around the wall behind it, there is another door, open that and there is a separate cupboard the depth of a mattress! So just a door randomly in the wall that's of no use! In fact it is of use, we've stored a spare mattress in there!!

Samnella Thu 17-Jan-13 19:48:01

3 bed end of terrace -2 doubles and one box room. Extension with big kitchen/diner and utility but tiny lounge and DS room is 6x7 ft which drives me mad. I would like a bigger lounge and 3rd bedroom or maybe even a spare 4 th wink. But I love the feel of my house and the fact its the only home my DCs have known.

Mrsrobertduvall Thu 17-Jan-13 20:20:42

mrsbucket we are in SW London hence ridiculous prices for not that much

Bumblequeen Thu 17-Jan-13 21:04:40

Samnella DD's room is roughly the size of your ds's. The saving grace is she has an adult's single bed, lots of shelves and under bed storage. There is no space for dd to play on the floor in the room.

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 17-Jan-13 21:10:13

I live in a farmhouse, 5 bedrooms (3 of them big enough to fit superking beds and 2 single beds plus furniture), 4 bathrooms, dining room, sitting room, study, kitchen/diner, huge utility room and then and annexe, playroom, bathroom, bedroom. Dates from late 1500's lates part is 1700's and is a bugger to heat. Not as big as the house I grew up in though.

JuliaSqueezer Thu 17-Jan-13 21:30:32

1990s Detached
Sitting room, dining room, dining kitchen, loo, hallway
Four double bedrooms, one en-suite, family bathroom
Gardens front and back, garage, double-width driveway.

If I had to improve it I'd like the back garden to be a little bigger but other than that we're happy. At the moment there's only two of us here so we have plenty of space and it's easy to clean and heat. Compared to where I grew up it's a palace so I really do appreciate it.

frankie4 Thu 17-Jan-13 21:42:18

We have just moved to a house very similar size to yours and I have felt really lucky to have a nice sized house. I don't understand why you aren't happy with your house - it's new, nicely decorated, 4 bedrooms, ensuite.

There will always be people with bigger houses, I have friends with big houses that have rooms they never use and they just use the kitchen an tv room. Try to be happy with what you have, or find friends with a variety of house sizes!

Roseformeplease Thu 17-Jan-13 21:49:38

Huge Edwardian house. 5 bed, 3 bath and the wonder that is two sitting rooms ( one for each generation) and a study. Lovely big garden and amazing views of the sea. But......a long way from anywhere and property here is very cheap. On my salary anywhere else we would be lucky to have 3 beds. We have an open fire (fireplaces in every room but blocked) but are saving for a wood burner to help with costs.

MrsBucketxx Fri 18-Jan-13 07:15:41

I know what you mean frankie there are lots if positives in this house, but I know in my heart its not my forever home.

Fivegomad I'm well jel envy

HDee Fri 18-Jan-13 07:36:42

MrsBucket, I guarantee there will be far more people on here with less impressive homes than yours. Many will be in grotty, mouldy homes with landlords who don't give a shit, or in council homes with crack addicts for neighbours, or temporary accomodation....

TBH your OP comes across as as bit of a stealth boast. 'Come and look at my lovely house. It's brand new, perfectly insulated, blah blah...tell me about yours so I can feel even better.'

In fact, 95 % of the posters on this thread have also come on to say how great their homes are. Boasting about their 5 bedrooms/3 bathrooms for example. Not a single one still lives in a bog standard council house, rented from the council. Not very representative of the MN demographic at all I shouldn't think.

MrsBucketxx Fri 18-Jan-13 07:48:33

Hdee its meant to be light hearted.

HDee Fri 18-Jan-13 07:56:12

It might be light-hearted if you weren't whining about living in a house which many people reading this could never aspire to living in.

Bumblequeen Fri 18-Jan-13 08:09:06

Mrsbucket How big are your friends' homes? We often measure ourselves against those around us.

A 4 bedroom home is big to me even if all 4 bedrooms are not doubles. I know new builds are not generous with room sizes and storage space- is this the issue?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now