Oh, it's all so expensive, isn't it?

(3 Posts)
PixieHot Fri 11-Jan-13 14:30:57

Thanks guinea (and sorry for my self-indulgent rant). Yes, the ~£5k that I calculated includes stamp duty, and also the more expensive of the two survey types as DH and I are risk averse.

We're actually pretty close to where we'd like to be (although it's taken a long time to get here). Now we just need to work out exactly how close we are, and to plan / act accordingly. It's frustrating at this stage, because it feels like a few £k extra might make all the difference in terms if how good a mortgage deal we might get (this may not actually be true though grin). Definitely more research required.

guineapiglet Fri 11-Jan-13 14:22:59

Hi - in answer to your question - yes!!! We have just moved from North to South and are utterly horrified at how much things cost, just makes me sob! <sobs>.

But we have got a mortgage through the Nationwide, and if you have a Flex account with them for 3 months with regular income going in, you are entitled to their special rates, AND they have paid solicitors costs and survey costs as well - it is the stamp duty which is a killer, so watch out for that as well!

Good luck.

PixieHot Fri 11-Jan-13 14:19:29

Just that really hmm. I thought that DH and I were all geared up to buy for the first time, but I just added up all of the likely fees (£5k hmm), which eats into our deposit a bit too much I think (we'd like to have a 15% deposit).

I think we'll keep going with our preparations though - check out our credit files etc according to MSE, talk to our mortgage broker again etc. Oh well smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now