Help me name this wallcovering

(15 Posts)
maggiethecat Fri 11-Jan-13 13:51:12

Recently bought house and there is a covering on the hall wall which someone mentioned the name of to me but I can't recall - sounds like argyptum?

It has a molded patterned effect and looks like a very thick lining paper. Am told that it was very common early 19th century; can be difficult to remove.

fresh Fri 11-Jan-13 14:42:52

Sounds like anaglypta - ring any bells?

FarrahFawcettsFlick Fri 11-Jan-13 15:10:11

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincrusta

If it's old, it's probably this (lincrusta) stuff. Load bearing wallpaper!

CointreauVersial Fri 11-Jan-13 22:36:08

If it's hard as nails and looks old it might be lincrusta, but if the raised patterns are slightly soft (ie you can leave a fingernail mark in it), then it's probably anaglypta. It is slightly easier to remove, but still a pain, particularly if it's been overpainted. Score the surface before steaming.

soonbesailing Sat 12-Jan-13 00:02:53

Also called anaglypta (sp) I think Lincrusta is a manufacturers name. Often seen in Victorian style pubs with gloss paint.

maggiethecat Sat 12-Jan-13 23:44:13

Thank you all - it's anaglypta (Lincrusta) that the decorator said (how did I get argyptum confused).

Not sure if I really like it but will paint it over and see how it comes out.

PigletJohn Sun 13-Jan-13 00:15:18

it is hard to get off. I used a heat gun and metal scraper but it was very slow. The harder stuff has putty between two layers of tough paper, moulded into the pattern.

maggiethecat Mon 14-Jan-13 10:14:15

Think we'll keep it on - the pattern is not overbearing and it's on the lower section below dado rail.

Do you know if it's difficult/time consuming to paint over?

fresh Mon 14-Jan-13 10:19:37

No, it's pretty simple. Slower than painting over lining paper obviously, but not difficult. Is it still intact? If so it should be no problem. Patching it in with filler, however.....grin

maggiethecat Mon 14-Jan-13 10:43:40

It's still intact - remarkable as it may be the original that came with the house (neighbours on both sides have the same pattern!) Must have been made to last.

fresh Mon 14-Jan-13 12:27:23

Yup, it's pretty tough stuff, as you find out when you try to remove it. It probably did come with the house, which makes it a good idea to preserve it in my view (and you can call it a period feature if you ever sell!)

CointreauVersial Mon 14-Jan-13 18:17:58

If it's original period, then yes, keep it.

There was nothing "period" about the acres of swirly floral-patterned anaglypta that this house was covered in....unless the period in question is the 1980s.confused I had no qualms about ripping that down.

betterwhenthesunshines Mon 14-Jan-13 19:00:12

We have our original paper. I'm not overly keen on it, but our very wise architect (who had 6 children) advised us to keep it. And he was right - it is extremely hard wearing grin. We did have the dado and skirting white but I think it would look more contemporary with the dado and anaglypta in one shade and the plain walls above in just a tone lighter (or darker).

herethereandeverywhere Mon 14-Jan-13 21:02:28

I remember looking into this when we bought our Victorian house. You might not be interested(!) but I remember reading THIS and also saw this when I was looking for the link OMG NEARLY 200 PER ROLL perhaps you should keep it!!!

maggiethecat Mon 14-Jan-13 22:49:31

I did get a sense that there was more to this wallcovering than met the eye!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now