Condensation....is there anything that helps?

(15 Posts)
Badvoc Thu 10-Jan-13 10:42:01

I have noticed that my upvc windows - some only 8 years old but others 15 years old are quite badly condensated each morning.
I wipe it away, but obv this isn't solving the issue.
I have a,so started to see mould in the corners of the window frames/wall which I am cleaning off with mould and mildew remover.
Is there anything I can do/should be doing to minimise this? The house has gch.
And was built in 1985 so not that old really.

specialsubject Thu 10-Jan-13 10:44:21

either stop breathing or change the laws of physics. In short - no, there is nothing you can do beyond what you are doing, which is to mop up.

it will be reduced with heating, ventilation, not drying clothes indoors, extractor fans, lids on pans etc, but due to the aforementioned laws of physics the condensation is always worse in the winter.

off to mop up mine!

noisytoys Thu 10-Jan-13 10:47:12

Get a dehumidifier they suck the water out of the air before it hits the walls

Badvoc Thu 10-Jan-13 10:47:40

Oh dear.
Thought as much.
Don't dry clothes in the house. Will open the windows and get some air in.
Thanks

Reduce moisture created at home. For example no wet laundry indoors, open kitchen and bathroom windows. If you have all this and it's still so damp, then there isn't anything more you can do. BTW I don't have any condensation just from breathing specialsubject.

Vix07 Thu 10-Jan-13 10:51:42

Pick up a dehumidifier - you can get them fairly cheaply from Argos

Badvoc Thu 10-Jan-13 10:52:26

Ok dense question of the day...would we need one in each room?

nancy75 Thu 10-Jan-13 10:59:39

We had terrible condensation solved by a dehumidifier.
Get a good one, small cheaper ones are a false economy.
They sell them based on the size of the house, we live in a 3 bed and i bought one strong enough for a 6 bed house, we have had it for nearly 3 winters now and it has really done the trick.
You don't need one in each room, ours it in the upstairs hallway as the problem was worse in the bedrooms, you do need to have the doors to the rooms open to allow the air to flow.
The one i bought is delonghi i think, i got it from BHS who had a 20% offer on (which they do quite often so google for a discount code!) It cost about £200 but was worth the money. The amount of water i empty from it is amazing, i don't know where it all comes from!

Badvoc Thu 10-Jan-13 11:06:01

Thanks x

specialsubject Thu 10-Jan-13 11:15:06

clearly there is heavier breathing going on in my house than in that of one of the posters. smile.

grin

Tragedies Thu 10-Jan-13 11:41:15

Does the humidifier cost a lot to run, Nancy?

Tragedies Thu 10-Jan-13 11:41:36

Sorry, that's DEhumidifier!

steppemum Thu 10-Jan-13 11:57:10

nancy - I'm really interested - do you know how much yours costs to run?

We have installed 3 extractor fans (bathrooms and kitchen) trickle vents in all windows and dh opens windows most mornings after we are all dressed (he works from home) but we still get mildew in some places, and quite a lot of condensation.
We are now thinking about a dehumidifier, particularly in the utility room as I dry all the clothes on a clothes horse in there, but we are worried about running cost

nancy75 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:04:24

Sorry I don't know about running costs, my electricity bill is always expensive! I don't notice a big change from summer when we don't use it to winter when we do (i have it on pretty much all the time, the mould was so bad previously that we had to redecorate quite a lot of the rooms so I would rather just have the thing on and keep the house dry). i seem to remember that the delonghi website had info on running costs when we bought it - might be worth a look.

We already had extractor fans in Bathroom & kitchen, they didn't seem to do anything to help, the dehumidiffier had definately made the difference. Because the one i have is quite powerful it does help with drying the washing - if i put a clothes horse of wet stuff in the utility room with the dehumidifer on full blast & shut the door it gets the washing dry much quicker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now