How much do you pay for water? This seems like a lot

(5 Posts)
MirandaWest Thu 10-Jan-13 12:03:06

Did you give readings when you moved in and then another one more recently? How much have you used since you moved in?

PipeDreams Thu 10-Jan-13 11:59:41

How about taking a meter reading today and again in a week/months time? That will give you an idea of your real life usage.

You could also check that you aren't losing water to leaks etc by looking at the meter before you go to bed and again after you wake up, there shouldn't be any movement if you're not using any water!

It's very hard to estimate based on one reading alone however and if you submit a reading regularly it will help the water company get it right quicker than by leaving it until their next reading.

Hope that helps! Dennis

NorthPolo Thu 10-Jan-13 00:27:15

2 bed house. 2 adults 2 very small people so lots of washing but we are unmetered so £35 per month no matter how much we use. Northumbrian water.

bryonywhisker Wed 09-Jan-13 22:59:10

3 bed house. 2 adults 2 littlies. dh water wasteful angry but £36 month. Anglian water, meter.

NannyR Wed 09-Jan-13 22:16:26

Posted in chat but no replies!

I moved into my flat in July, water company estimated that my bill would be £18 a month, based on 55 cubic metres a year for one adult in a one bedroom flat.
They have now written to me to say they are doubling it, based on one meter reading they are now estimating I will use 96 cubic metres a year.

What I can't understand is that I consider myself to be really frugal with water, I've fitted water saving inserts into the taps and shower, I take a short shower every other day, wash up with a small bowl of water once a day, washing machine goes on 2-3 times a week, only flush for number twos!, don't leave the tap running whilst brushing my teeth, I don't have any dripping taps or obvious leaks.

It seems like a lot to be paying and I can't understand why I seem to be using twice the average amount of water when I should be using less than the average 55 cubic metres considering the water saving measures I've taken.

How does this compare with what other people pay?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now