Where do you keep your tea towels?

(22 Posts)
wendybird77 Sat 12-Jan-13 21:24:12

Ok, I meant hob, not stove for the bin. I don't want to set anything on fire (thus wanting an induction hob, see my other thread and help me convince DH who is more attached to his fucking pans than concerned about his reckless young son who will set the house on fire at the very first opportunity).

I saw a pull out rail at John Lewis today (whilst trying to tempt DH with shiny new pans which I have promised to buy him if he will listen to reason and agree to an induction hob). So I think a pull out rail for tea towels. Maybe I also need a new DH with the new kitchen? One who won't complain about new pans and a lovely efficient, safe and easy to clean induction hob?

Springforward Sat 12-Jan-13 19:57:58

Only if the oven is hot. We put ours on the worktop next to the oven when it's on....

nextphase Sat 12-Jan-13 07:05:22

Please don't keep teatowels over the oven handle. its a big fire risk.

echt Sat 12-Jan-13 06:33:14

In a cupboard that also contains veg and the medicine cabinet. It's part of the central storage system very common in Australian houses of a certain vintage, where cupboards/WIRs are room dividers.

Pigletjohn is v.rigorous, IMO, though we change the towel/surface wipe and scrubby thing daily, so we must think they're filthy, really.grin

Bin next to a stove may get smelly much quicker than normal due to the heat ducks to avoid putting a small spanner in the works

wendybird77 Fri 11-Jan-13 16:37:40

Well I've changed the design and have moved the pull out bin cupboard next to the stove, which leaves me under sink space, so I think I'll hang a bar on the inside of the cupboard door and another over the oven handle - which covers the two areas we use them in. Thanks all, just needed to think outside hanging them on the cupboard knob grin

CuddyMum Fri 11-Jan-13 16:06:30

Over the cooker handle (if it must!) and the clean ones in a cupboard above the oven. I only really use it when the dishes aren't completely dry after being in the dishwasher.

fussychica Fri 11-Jan-13 15:00:12

Towel rail over radiator. No dishwasher and tiny kitchen so try to keep it as tidy as possible which means drying up.

To be honest any cloths used for cleaning surfaces are probably the worst culprits unless you constantly use throw away ones - but then that's hardly good for the environment.

I wouldn't consider putting a hook next to bins if you want them out of sight... That doesn't seem hygienic to me.

True enough tea towels are unhygienic for drying up if it's not fresh out of the washing. I remember learning that at school that the best way for washing up to dry was 'air dry' because of bacteria harboured on the average tea towel and merrily rushed home to tell my mum that we shouldn't be doing it anymore I guess I had slattern tendencies back then

I do, however, keep a tea towel in the kitchen for hand drying after washing up. It's changed probably every other day and 'lives' on the grill handle so it dries out quickly.

fossil971 Thu 10-Jan-13 23:34:12

ikea rail screwed to the end of a base unit near the sink.

Suttonmum1 Wed 09-Jan-13 22:24:59

Cupboard under sink has long horizontal handle for the one currently in use, even though opens right to left. Spares on pull out towel rail

wendybird77 Wed 09-Jan-13 22:11:23

Oh I do change them all the time (as in every day or more often as DS2 is shockingly destructive and messy). I just need them handy for drying wet hands and mopping up copious spills. grin

noisytoys Wed 09-Jan-13 21:13:38

On the oven handle. I change them every other day

digerd Wed 09-Jan-13 20:53:46

I have a stick on plastic hook on the inside of the lower cupboard door. Unless you get them actually wet, then you should hang them on the front of the door and shut it to dry first.

forevergreek Wed 09-Jan-13 20:43:33

Why are they unhygienic? Our is used to dry the odd wet plate/ pan/ utensil. Clean ones!

Springforward Wed 09-Jan-13 20:42:44

On the oven handle, then in the laundry bin each night. Clean ones live under the sink.

Mine aren't unhygienic - a clean one is used to dry off clean dishes and once it is wet it goes for washing.

PigletJohn Wed 09-Jan-13 20:28:42

nowhere

they're frightfully unhygenic.

forevergreek Wed 09-Jan-13 20:27:02

A little pull out tea towel rail. Stays hidden in cupboard

Radiator too.
My last house had a towel radiator which was great for teatowels.

CMOTDibbler Wed 09-Jan-13 20:18:47

I keep mine on the radiator

wendybird77 Wed 09-Jan-13 20:17:29

Sorry for all the threads - in a mad rush to get it all decided and ordered! So, I'm having a kitchen built and need to figure out where to keep the tea towels. I'll have a drawer for storage next to the sink, but where to keep the ones in use? I'm having under sink pull out bins, but maybe could fit a hook or something in there too? I won't be able to hang them from the door handles and don't want them sitting on the worktop. Help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now