Moving to Harrow - areas to avoid?

(7 Posts)
scghscgh Wed 09-Jan-13 15:51:16

Hi. We are planning on moving to somewhere in Harrow, to get a bigger property and be closer to schools for the children (not school age yet).

I have a few criteria for the area we move to:
1. Be in a safe area
2. Be close to a good primary school (in the hope that they will enrol us)
3. Be no more than 0.5 miles from the Met line.
4. Be affordable (unfortunately this rules out Pinner)

I was thinking of looking around North Harrow, West Harrow and Rayners Lane. Are these okay areas?

I have heard that Wealdstone and South Harrow are areas to avoid. But I am not sure how close is too close to these areas. At which streets should we draw the line?

All help appreciated!

Thx

Mins Fri 11-Jan-13 22:03:28

Hi
I lived in Harrow for almost 20 years and moved away just over 3 years ago. Most recently we lived just on the border of Wealdstone and Harrow Weald. Harrow Weald was nice and where we were we could walk to Harrow& Wealdstone station although this did mean walking through Wealdstone town centre which was not too pleasant at times. It's a real shame as the whole area used to be so nice but has gone downhill I think which is partly why we left. However, having said that there are nice streets (I still really miss the street we lived in - and the house!! - as it was lovely and friendly). I think it depends on whether you need to commute and schools obviously. Pinner is v expensive as is Hatch End. There are some really nice streets in North and West Harrow - and Vaughan school used to be good - not sure about Rayners Lane. N & W Harrow more expensive than other parts I think. If you have any specific questions or want to know more then just ask! Although we no longer live there we do go and visit still.

onyx72 Fri 11-Jan-13 22:08:22

would you consider Eastcote or Ruislip? Both areas are on the Met line, have good schools and are more affordable than Pinner.

scghscgh Sun 13-Jan-13 11:59:07

Hi Mins.

Thanks for the suggestion about Harrow Weald - we should look there too. Where does Harrow Weald stop and Wealdstone begin? Is it around Locket Road, or maybe more north around Spencer Rd? (I imagine its probably not as clear-cut as that, but hopefully you know what I mean).

In terms of North Harrow, we were thinking of staying west of Harrow View. Does this sound about right?

scghscgh Sun 13-Jan-13 12:04:48

Hi onyx72

We have just started to think about looking in Eastcote / Ruslip, as there isn't much on the market in our current search areas :-(
Ruslip seems to have a number of tube staions on the Met & Central Lines. What are the nicest affordable areas of Ruslip, or in other words, around which tube station should we look?

Also, do you know much about what playgroups and drop-ins there are in the area? We are spoilt for choice where we currently live, and I hope there are similar things in this area so I can meet new friends.

umiaisha Sun 13-Jan-13 19:45:00

Ruislip is a great place for families. Lots to do and very good transport links.

Personally, I would look around West Ruislip (Central Line), Ruislip (Met/Picc) or Ruislip Manor (Met/Picc).

onyx72 Sun 13-Jan-13 20:45:26

DH and I would have moved to Ruislip if we had chosen to stay in London. There were loads of toddler groups etc going on and there is tons of open space and you will have Ruislip lido on your doorstep.

House prices drop again once you get to South Ruislip because it's not as leafy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now