Back extension

(9 Posts)
HMCheung Wed 09-Jan-13 13:58:59

Does anyone know what is the current limit on back extension of a semi detached house?
Is it still 3m or has this been increased to 6m?

Seeline Wed 09-Jan-13 14:04:02

Still 3m without the need for planning permission. If you want to go larger then you will need to apply to your local council. You may need permission for other reasons, so it's best to check with them in any case.
THe 6m limit was a government proposal, but they haven't even consulted on it yet......

I heard it has been increase to 4m outside measurements without PP needed. I'm pretty certain it is, as I'm pricing up an extension and had an architect out, then I heard the news about the increase, so I was very pleased.

Seeline Wed 09-Jan-13 14:16:06

4m applies to detached houses only. There are many other restrictions so please check. basic rules

HMCheung Wed 09-Jan-13 14:46:09

If you would like to build an extension that requires planning permission, how long does the planning permission approval process take?

Yorky Wed 09-Jan-13 16:08:05

PP can take about 3 months

Seeline Thu 10-Jan-13 10:14:13

Depends on your council and how contentious your application is but could be anything from 5 weeks to 2-3 months. If it is refused you have the right of appeal to the Planning Inspectorate, or teh council may indicate ways in which you ould amend your proposal to make it acceptable.

CEvert Thu 10-Jan-13 14:24:17

What about a lean to? Does it require a PP?

Seeline Thu 10-Jan-13 14:28:55

It may do - in planning terms it still counts as an extension so the basic rules still apply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now