Where to move to within a 30 mins drive of Guildford?

(44 Posts)
Sorcsd Wed 09-Jan-13 12:20:13

Hi there, my husband and I have both secured a transfer from Dublin to the Guildford office of our company and I would like any advise you could give as to where to move to within about a 30 minute drive of Guildford. We will be looking for a long term furnished house rental. We have a 3 year old son and I am due our second in May. We would prefer a town or village than Guildford itself as we think we might get more for our money in the surrounding area? Our budget will about £2,000 p/m. Nurseries and school are obviously a major influencing factor (any advise on these also very welcome!) and I would like to be within walking distance of local shops and parks if possible. I have seen a few properties online that I like the look of in Fleet, Normandy, Godalming, Albury. Any and all advise appreciated.

My friends kids are very happy at this nursery http://www.altonconvent.org.uk/the-school/early-years-foundation-stage/

We very very nearly moved to Alton but I couldn't face the commute back into Surrey for work. Lots of people do it though.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-26343678.html?premiumA=true

backs on to really good primary school

have a good look at Alton, Butts green area

mummytime Belgium Wed 27-Mar-13 20:01:04

There are lots of other pre-schools in Guildford BTW, so I wouldn't move just because of that.

If you do move do check out the drive in (if he still intends to drive) at rush hour, when the schools are back.

Sorcsd Wed 27-Mar-13 20:00:19

Once we narrow it down to specific areas and house we might just do that - thanks again!

sppp Wed 27-Mar-13 19:52:40

Or this? www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-26369658.html

Zebon Copse and Netherhouse Moor are two developments that get you into good schools. Some of the other developments, eg Edenbrook, Ancells Farm, Elvetham Heath are a bit trickier for schools, the first two for secondary schools, and Elvetham kids don't always get places at primary even if they're catchment.

I can give you lots of info on areas to avoid but don't want to make inflammatory posts and potentially upset anyone, so feel free to PM me.

Sorcsd Wed 27-Mar-13 19:01:43

Thank you so much sppp! This is exactly the sort of place we're looking for but only advise like yours and everyone on the site can tell you what the area is like.

sppp Wed 27-Mar-13 16:20:18

What about this?

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-41036141.html

This is in catchment for very good schools and has lots of young families.

Bramshott Wed 27-Mar-13 15:25:13

Oh is it not? Sorry - I thought it was.

Sorcsd Wed 27-Mar-13 15:11:52

Camberley sounds lovely! Will put it on the list. I've heard good things about Farnham and Godalming but sounds like you had a bad experience there KarlosKKrinkelbeim!
We were thinking of getting out of Surrey into North East Hampshire to get more for our money but I'm not getting a good feeling about Aldershot, Farnborough, Fleet from anyone so might look into Alton, Odiham and Petersfield as suggested (thanks Bramshott). Any other suggestions in Hampshire?

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Wed 27-Mar-13 14:45:59

Bramshot...you don't pay a toll on the new A3 tunnel.

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Wed 27-Mar-13 13:54:28

haslemere is lovely but pricey, even by surrey standards.
We live in Chiddingfold (large village between Godalming and Haslemere) - have lived here only a couple of months but it seems lovely and friendly. Godalming (where we lived for a couple of years) seems to have the curtain-twitching element - people without much to do who spend their time getting het up about what their neighbours are up to. We have a nanny and a tutor (for DS who has ASD) come to the house most days and I was shocked to be berated by one of our neighbours in Godalming over the number of people we had coming to the house (irrespective of the fact they both parked on our drive). it was well weird, he was really aggressive. I think he was an extreme version of a prevalent local type!

Bramshott Wed 27-Mar-13 13:30:04

If you go out of Surrey into Hampshire you'll get much more for your money. We're in Alton and I love it. Odiham also very nice, as is Petersfield (although if you commute up the A3 the new tunnel is a toll).

sats1977 Wed 27-Mar-13 13:25:19

Other lovely things about Camberley...Monthly farmers market, La-Di-Da cupcake company, Good Taste artisan bakery and cafe, great library, theatre and friendly locals smile

Lots of young families in the area too.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Wed 27-Mar-13 13:21:49

Petersfield is a nice town, just off the A3, very easy for Guildford and on the main train line to London. Also easy to head south to the coast from there and surrounded by South Downs.

sats1977 Wed 27-Mar-13 13:14:40

We bought a house in Camberley 6 months ago and absolutely love it here. It's a small town with a direct train to Guildford and the drive is about 30 mins if you wanted to drive. The nursery our toddler goes to is rated outstanding (there are at least two outstanding ones here) and the facilities for both kids and adults are fantastic. We have a soft play centre, cinema, bowling, leisure centre, rugby club, cricket club, football, go karting, parks, great shopping centre and nice restaurants. Lots of pretty countryside nearby. Schools are good standard too (although I've only looked into infant schools for now).

We moved from London and didn't want to move anywhere too quiet (i.e. a little village with limited facilities) so Camberley was the perfect solution for us. We also love period houses and there is a great stock of them here smile

Sorcsd Wed 27-Mar-13 12:40:24

sppp, it's about £1200 - £1400 p/m. From looking on a few websites we can rent much better quality and size houses in Aldershot, Farnborough, Fleet than we could in Guildford. But are these nice areas to live - are they good for young families, lots of other mums with small kids?

greyvix Wed 27-Mar-13 00:15:20

Come to Farnham. The schools and nurseries are great!

Godalming is vair, vair nice. Fleet is nice, but be careful which bit you pick. The two secondary schools are heavily oversubscribed and Fleet children in some areas are soon to be bussed out of Fleet to Aldershot schools, so I'm told. Bit stupid really, as people move to Fleet and pay Fleet prices for the schools, so the developers build and build...and then there are no places in the schools. If Fleet, avoid Pondtail, for that reason.

serin Tue 26-Mar-13 22:54:42
sppp Tue 26-Mar-13 21:28:57

What is your budget? You have mentioned Fleet a couple of times and the schools are excellent there as long as you are in catchment. Plenty of people on Fleet commute to Guildford and the pre-schools are pretty good.

Sorcsd Tue 26-Mar-13 16:46:19

So, we have moved and are currently living in a temporary apartment in Guildford town centre and our son is in a nursery close by but we are not happy with it at all. He is in the pre-school class and there is up to 30 kids in the room on a given day - he came from a creche with a max of 12 kids in his room so it's a tough adjustment for him and he keeps getting into fights (physical) which is a new thing. We are hoping to get a more permanent house sorted soon so we are thinking of moving out to somewhere in the direction of Aldershot, Farnborough, Fleet (North East Hampshire) where the nurserys appear to be much smaller in size. I am a city girl so I'm not too bothered if it's not a beautiful village and I'm well used to traffic. Any and all advise welcome!

sourcd the area you are considering in Guildford is very like Dublin 4 what I think of as posh Dublin.does that help?

Dededum Tue 29-Jan-13 20:18:10

Epsom / London Rd area is very nice. Catchment area for good schools - look for Sandfield, Pewley Down, Merrow infants, Boxgrove, St Thomas.

If you can I would rent in Guildford - nice parks, Sports centres, playgroups, lots of young kids, cafes, shopping etc..

Link some properties and we can tell you a bit more about the area.

Godalming is lovely as well, but not sure it will be much cheaper than Guildford and doesn't have so much to offer.

Angelfootprints Mon 21-Jan-13 19:29:16

I wouldn't want to live on those roads, but Im not a town person.

Handy for the station I imagine, but the traffic would stress me out to no end. Not very attractive either.Plus think drunk people at the weekends walking back to get on the train.

I would 100% go for a beautiful village or small town. Your sure to get a nicer house too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now