Would no parking be an issue for you?

(62 Posts)
Officedepot Fri 04-Jan-13 17:03:42

Considering a house which is on a lovely quiet alley / footpath type thing (rather than a road). It is great as the house is not overlooked at all and nice and peaceful feeling. However there is no driveway / garage and you cannot park directly outside house as it is on a pathway rather than a road. However there is a quiet residential street just across the road that you could park on, so literally just seconds away from the house.

Does not bother me, but do you think it would be an issue re-selling the house? It is in an area where a lot of elderly people live (who might not necessarily drive anyway) and also the house is very close to shops (2 minutes' walk) and close to bus stop (1 minute walk) and close to train station (2 minutes' walk) so could attract someone who might not have a car.

laughinglikeadrain Sat 05-Jan-13 15:48:10

i wouldnt buy a house without off street parking..... because i cant park properly and it stresses me out. even when the drive is empty dh will park on the road and leave the drive for me.

I KNOW i should learn to park properly..... but if this is my solution (and it works for everyone when im less stressed) then there will be others who are put off too.

Startail Sat 05-Jan-13 16:08:36

Yes and it's the major reason we chose both our rented flat and our first house.

My car was far and away my most valuable possession no way could I afford minor repairs or to loose my no claims over minor damage caused by joe public walking, driving or cycling by.

In fact DH had very posh hire cars for work and the local, pretty wild DCs and the mums with buggies never damaged any of them despite them being on the pavement at the front.
(Our parking being a pretty tight garage, that fitted my fairly small car)

Bumblequeen Sat 05-Jan-13 18:46:44

We currently do not have a garage/drive way. When we move this will be on our list of must haves. We can park in front of our house 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time we can park directly opposite and then move the car when driver has left. We never have to park down the road or around the corner.

We looked at a house with a 'garage en bloc'. This was out of the question as I like quick access to our car. Bringing shopping home or being caught in the rain would be a nightmare!

i8mine Tue 02-Jul-13 14:50:12

I find this incredibly sad. No doubt many of the posters here will avidly absorb all the information this site can offer on diet and exercise in order to stay healthy.......and yet wont walk a few yards to the car. A case of the tail wagging the dog methinks! - a car is only a tool!

Mumelie Tue 02-Jul-13 15:07:20

I wouldn't at the moment as I have very young DCs and mobility problems. But 10 years ago I don't think it would have bothered me at all. I don't currently have of road parking but live on a quiet street and can park outside my house 90% of the time. Most things can be delivered to your house these days anyway. If you love it and it works for you then go for it.

We don't have our own parking, and I couldn't care less - but we do live on a quiet, wide street where we can double park outside to offload shopping etc. I would find it a nuisance if I couldn't do that.

BackforGood Tue 02-Jul-13 17:02:34

You revived a 6 month old thread for that i8Mine ?
People have already explained lots of really valid reasons for needing parking nearby. I walk quite a lot. I like walking, but it's a bit tricky when you are carrying furniture, or alone with a baby, trying to get a load of stuff into or out of a car and not wanting to leave them alone for long.

Wouldn't bother me TBH. We don't have allocated parking and the road is very congested, but the worst thing that's ever happened is that I've had to park maybe 7 or 8 doors down. Hardly a catastrophe.

Oh I didn't notice this was a zombie thread...

nemno Tue 02-Jul-13 17:49:11

I wouldn't ever want to be without parking. The non delivery excuses are a pain, I think if finding the house is difficult some delivery drivers won't put much effort in. Having work done costs extra if materials need shlepping. Where to put the skip?

Jan49 Tue 02-Jul-13 17:56:11

I8mine, I think it's more the case that if you have no parking but have a car, you may have difficulty finding anywhere to park at all when you arrive home, not that you are unable to walk a few yards to the car.

I don't drive or have a car but I would still hesitate to buy a house that didn't have parking because I'd be afraid of never being able to sell it.

One of my friends had a house like the one the OP describes. When one of her dc was sick in the car she ended up driving to my house to clean the car on my driveway because of the difficulty of cleaning it a few streets away from home with 2 little dc to look after.

MrsSalvoMontalbano Tue 02-Jul-13 18:03:15

Deal breaker. I agree with Jan19. Rush hour, November, raining, will it still be okay?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now