New polycarbnate roof for a conservatory?....how much?...

(24 Posts)
Deux Thu 10-Jan-13 14:36:21

You can sell conservatories, have a look on ebay. There are also conservatory resellers out there who will buy yours, refurb it and sell it on.

The quote we had for dismantling our conservatory was 600 GBP and was part of a bigger building job.

conu Thu 10-Jan-13 10:43:38

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

wendybird77 Fri 04-Jan-13 13:06:24

I confess I love ours, mostly it is just open to the rest of the house, but we close it off at night. The kids love it as a play room and it is a lovely light room to sit in / spread train track all over and I don't step in the pieces. Anyway, hope you get it sorted!

Badvoc Fri 04-Jan-13 12:57:32

Ugh, that's rough Wendy.
I hate the bloody thing tbh, have never liked conservatories and we inky use it as a toy storage/book storage room...
Will get the chap out and seeif he can fix it...yet another £400 at least...sigh.

wendybird77 Fri 04-Jan-13 12:47:40

I suppose it is a question of whether you need / like the space and how much he's going to charge. I wouldn't think dismantling is going to cost less and will probably make a mess of the outside (tearing up floor, where it is connected to the house, etc.) Sounds like you've had all sorts of unexpected costs associated with this house - sorry, rotten luck. If it makes you feel any better we moved in and 2 days later there was water dripping down my son's ceiling. I really don't understand people who don't maintain their houses to a waterproof standard - second time it has happened to us!

Badvoc Fri 04-Jan-13 12:41:32

Have bleached the windows and sills.
The chap who came yesterday is willing to have a go at fixing the Bodge jobs.
Just not sure what to do now sad

PigletJohn Fri 04-Jan-13 11:30:19

the mould will be due to condensation, so ventilation and curing the leaks will fix it.

I still think it shouldn't need a new roof so much as re-doing the joints, ridge and caps.

The plastic mouldings all clip together, so should not be relying on silicone sealant.

Badvoc Fri 04-Jan-13 11:13:48

We just can't afford a new roof I dont think.
And if we third more money at it there is no guarantee it will work.
Just looked at the windows and there is mould on the bottom of the window
And sills sad
I think we may need to just cut our losses...since we moved in a year ago we have had to have a new boiler, and had to replace most of the kitchen, Except the floor and units!
Used up all our savings and have had to out it all on the cc.
Any tips on dismantling a conservatory? sad could we sell it on to a builder etc?

PigletJohn Fri 04-Jan-13 01:32:07

I haven't had a polycarb conservatory, but. recently I built with the help of a local joiner A local joiner built with my help interference, a polycarb topped carport and shed, and it was important to get the joints and edges right, and the guttering and seals, but they are all fairly standard parts and methods, so I would suspect poor workmanship or inaccurate measurements leading to a poor fit.

I suppose ask around for someone local and more skilled.

CanYouHearMe Thu 03-Jan-13 23:36:21

We had a quote to replace the panels - about 2.5k. We fixed leaks using sealant.

wendybird77 Thu 03-Jan-13 23:34:08

Yes, it is a lot - more than I expected, so I've done nothing and am just heating the sky. I'm going to get through the summer in this house and then see what the issues are. I am considering Roof Revive - which won't solve your leak problem, but stupidly they have been the cheapest quote I've had at £3k. Sigh.

Badvoc Thu 03-Jan-13 22:07:51

Yeah...I have to stop myself actually using his name in my thread titles...it would come across and needy and fawning smile
He is awesome though.

KatyMac Thu 03-Jan-13 21:58:39

I think we both need PigletJohn - he's great!

Badvoc Thu 03-Jan-13 21:18:27

Yeah...it's been a problem for a while.
It's now leaking the through he light fitting sad
Very bad.

KatyMac Thu 03-Jan-13 21:14:44

Oh that doesn't sound good

Mine is around the roof lights, they just leak & I get them sealed, then they leak again sad

Badvoc Thu 03-Jan-13 21:05:48

Had the ridge replaced back in jan last year and its still leaking.
Apparently the stuff that has been used is flash band not proper lead flashing?
It just looks a mess. I think the people did a total hodge job on it sad
Got a guy out today but he is very wary of trying to fix the mess that has been made...sigh.

Badvoc Thu 03-Jan-13 21:03:23

Add on Katy! smile

KatyMac Thu 03-Jan-13 20:14:37

I never know whether it's politer to add on to a thread like this or to start a new one about a leak I have.......would you mind Badvac if I added or would I rather I start a new one?

blush

PigletJohn Thu 03-Jan-13 20:01:48

why do you think it is leaking, and where from?

unless the sheeting is cracked or broken, it is likely to be leaking from the ridge, or a badly constructed joint, or poor flashing. Any of which should be repairable by a competent roofer.

Badvoc Thu 03-Jan-13 17:50:25

Bloody hell wendy!
Am shocked its so much

RedHelenB Thu 03-Jan-13 17:04:11

How long roughly do they last? My conservatory is big & I hadn't considered that replacing a roof would be so expensive.

RedHelenB Thu 03-Jan-13 17:02:53

That is a lot!!

wendybird77 Thu 03-Jan-13 16:53:41

I was quoted £4.5k for a 4mx6m roof with the triple layer polycarbonate roof. HTH

Badvoc Thu 03-Jan-13 14:44:36

Just that really...roof still leaking after many attempts to fix.
Needs replacing.
His much approx would a polycarbonate roof for a Victorian style conservatory cost?
sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now