Does anyone have a velux dormer...

(12 Posts)
Flatbread Mon 31-Dec-12 15:13:16

...like this...?

www.sheffins.co.uk/show_prod.asp?ProdID=2776&CatID=36&SubCatID=207

We are thinking of putting one in an attic bathroom, and having a bathtub under. I would have gone for a normal velux, but think the pitch of the roof makes it a bit tight for a tall person (fine for me).

It is not the main bathroom, so it is not essential to make it easily usable by all (I think mainly I'll be using it) but wonder if that is being short-sighted.

Also, not sure how it would look in an old farmhouse. Pros, cons, cost?

wendybird77 Mon 31-Dec-12 17:54:11

I think it would look stunning and I'd love to have a bath under those windows! Unhelpful, sorry!

CuddyMum Mon 31-Dec-12 17:56:49

I think it looks great! Go for it!

lalalonglegs Mon 31-Dec-12 18:07:01

Word of warning: I met someone who had a glass roof in her bathroom with bath directly underneath. At night the reflection of her in the bath was projected onto the roof for all her neighbours to see...

Flatbread Mon 31-Dec-12 18:43:40

Thanks. Good to know about the refection...hadn't considered that.

What about longevity...? Do these things leak after a few years, I wonder?

Wonder if the facade might look ugly with it.

Flatbread Mon 31-Dec-12 18:44:25

Reflection

PigletJohn Mon 31-Dec-12 19:29:11

glass rooflights in bathrooms are prone to steam condensation which may drip on you in the bath, or cause premature rot of the wooden frame.

sausagesandwich34 Mon 31-Dec-12 19:32:57

I've got a standard velux in my ensuite next to the shower cubicle

as long as the vent is open I've had no issue with condensation & it still looks brand new at 9 years old

Flatbread Mon 31-Dec-12 19:54:03

glass rooflights in bathrooms are prone to steam condensation which may drip on you in the bath, or cause premature rot of the wooden frame

Not worried about the wooden frame as will get metal. But the 'condensation dripping on you' bit sounds awful!

Don't know what to do...go with a pokey bathroom, given that it will be rarely used. Or get a velux dormer and open the space, so it can be used more frequently.

We are redoing the bathroom now, so need to decide soon...

Piglet, any idea what it might cost (pitched slate roof, velux dormer would be 2 m high, 3.7 m wide)

Thanks!

PigletJohn Mon 31-Dec-12 21:38:21

nope

but roofers are the people to fit one.

CinderellaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 31-Dec-12 21:45:10

Also be sure to check re planning depending on where you live. Some planners have bees in their bonnets about velux and dormers independently dunno about both together.
(usual HQ disclaimers apply)

Flatbread Mon 31-Dec-12 22:20:03

Good point Cinderella. I have permission for a normal velux. But do think the space would benefit from additional height.

I think planners they would be ok with a traditional dormer, but might kick-up a fuss about this modern style dormer.

Hmm...is it worth the hassle...I'm tempted to stick with the original plan

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now