Country Kitchen Colours

(9 Posts)
NightFallsFast Sat 29-Dec-12 21:28:58

We're putting a kitchen in to a barn conversion and I've tied myself in knots with colours for it. I don't have an ounce of creative flair in me! I want to go for a base of white or cream to keep it fresh and light but I'm not keen on all white in a very cottagy kitchen and I worry that if I choose everything in cream the creams will all be slightly different and look awful.

It's a 4.5x6m kitchen with units on 3 sides and an island. The only colours that are fixed are the black granite tops and white belfast sinks.

We're planning to have a rangemaster in either ivory or cream www.cookersandovens.co.uk/Rangemaster_Kitchener_110_Ceramic_Cream.html or www.cookersandovens.co.uk/Rangemaster_Kitchener_110_Ceramic_Cream.html

Probably light tumble travertine (or similar) on the floor www.floorsofstone.com/tiles/travertine/

and shaker style units along the line of www.howdens.com/product-range/kitchen-collection/kitchen-families/haworth/haworth-white/

I haven't even thought about paint yet.

Any advice or thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

SuoceraBlues Sun 30-Dec-12 11:58:48

ohh ohh I have done a white and cream base in our cascina (v. old Italian farmhouse) The units, tiles, wooden cieling are white, the walls a warm cream.

With warm (fake) wood countertops.

I like it cos I can just change bits and bobs and pictures and flowers to change the accent colours. And it feels warmer than just white.

And WAY lighter. The wooden cieling was Italian regulation shitty dark brown, the whole thing felt like it was pressing down on me and all light got sucked out of the room.

I vote for your white/cream plan.

NightFallsFast Sun 30-Dec-12 19:56:46

Thank you Suocera, it's good to know it works. Yours sounds lovely. I agree that it's nice to be able to ring the changes with pictures/flowers etc, and they're less expensive to change if you make a mistake!

PastaDee Sun 30-Dec-12 20:02:45

Lovely kitchen choice. I was going to suggest a soft green from somewhere like Zoffany but then I noticed that's what they've done in the Howdens brochure! I really like the greeny colours with a white kitchen.

HidingFromDD Mon 31-Dec-12 08:32:58

Just be careful with the units and the cooker. I have the élan in cream and wanted cream units but it was a pita to find one that looked right with the cooker. They were too close but not close enough iyswim.

I'm going for dark cream units, wenge top (for contrast) and the (probably) sage green walls. I already have some green and chalky blue accessories smile

We have a cream kitchen and range master and love it.As was mentioned above accents change the whole room.Red now and lovely pastels for spring e.t.c..The only thing I would mention is for our kitchen we went quite creamy on the walls which over time -- and grease-- has become dull and yellower.I wish we had gone brighter to begin with,however this may not be an issue in a larger brighter kitchen.

NightFallsFast Tue 01-Jan-13 17:30:36

Thank you for all the help. We've seen a few kitchens in the flesh today and have more of an idea, though DH threw in the idea of going for wooden units (aaargh!) There's some interesting thoughts for the walls there and I'll definitely have a think about them.

fitflopqueen Tue 01-Jan-13 22:30:28

some nice ideas here http://www.john-lewis.co.uk/kitchen-ranges/

we had the artisan units in rubbed cream in our barn conversion 13 yrs ago and they still look good.

Angelfootprints Wed 02-Jan-13 10:19:20

Lovely choices!

I think it can look quite attractive when kitchens have the counters all one colour but the island another.

Perhaps cream/ ivory counters and then you could be bolder with the island colour? Maybe a china blue, grey, linen or sage green?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now