Wooden King size bed for a couple of porkers

(14 Posts)
bryonywhisker Sat 29-Dec-12 19:41:43

We need a new bed. DH refuses to have another divan and wants a wooden bed frame.
We are <ahem> fuller figured grin probably getting on for 28 stone between us. Will pine be ok, should I look for hardwood (snurk) has anyone got any reccommendations? Thank you!

Jayne266 Sat 29-Dec-12 19:55:43

I got a oak bed from dreams £500 ish but the best point was my DH is 6ft7 and we needed to find one that fitted his height.

peckforton Sat 29-Dec-12 23:25:53

Ikea are good. You need a bed where the slats are close together, definitely have a lie on them and if they feel the slightest bit wobbly don't go for it. Also top quality mattresses as they spread the weight. Also 14 stone each is not that much. I dont like divans as I like to be able to hoover under my beds.

bryonywhisker Sun 30-Dec-12 18:05:52

thank you! slightly reassured that it isn't supersize fat in the grand scheme of things...

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 30-Dec-12 18:11:25

If, like me, you are not a waif Ikea suggest you go for a firmer mattress. They have a good mattress guide, probably online, that could help you where ever you buy from. Our pine ikea bed takes 29stone and on the weekend mornings with the three DC bundled in that's over 40!

FoxtrotFoxtrotSierra Sun 30-Dec-12 18:14:24

We were around 29 stone combined at our porkiest. Our Warren Evans bed didn't buckle and is still going strong three years after we lost the weight.

When he was fat heavier, DH sat on the end of the bed and went through the slats. They replaced them, and fitted them, free of charge as the beds are guaranteed for 10 years regardless of portliness of the owners!

absolutmum Mon 31-Dec-12 18:27:05

Second vote for Warren Evans. We are tall, large people - over 30 stones combined, we've had our base 12+ years and it's good as new. We've dismantled it twice to move house, without any problems.
Just bought a new mattress this week, so should be good for a few more years....

Our JL one got very squeaky. It wasn't going to collapse, but was irritatingly noisy.

bryonywhisker Tue 01-Jan-13 16:56:31

Thanks for the Warrn Evans tip offs, not heard of them before but very impressed. Just have to contact them re delivery as they say they won't deliver to us but they will a mile down the road!
Excited now!

partridgeinpeartree Tue 01-Jan-13 19:49:14

Third vote for Warren Evans (assuming you can get them to deliver). Ours is almost 14 years old and still going strong - we replaced the mattress a couple of years ago and their customer service was brilliant. We got a custom size - extra long - because of dh height and they went the extra mile to check that the new mattress would definitely fit the frame.

Ponders Tue 01-Jan-13 19:51:04

a hardwood bed with sprung slats should be ok for you

def not pine, we've had sides of pine beds break when fairly lightweight teenagers sat on them grin

MrsSnow Wed 02-Jan-13 17:21:04

Would strongly against an ikea bed. It got built, DH sat on it and it collapsed. It went back.

John Lewis pine bed lasted quite long.

2nd John Lewis bed has had assistance to help it live longer.

I would really say look at the slats of the bed and ask to see in store how the slats go in. Wooden frames and slats are probably better as they can be assisted into a longer life if they do collapse.

jazzcat28 Wed 02-Jan-13 17:43:38

DH and I are of similar porkage and bought a king sized solid oak bed from Dreams

We are very satisfied 3yrs on and after some serious practicing believe it may even survive us TTC later this year grin

bryonywhisker Sat 05-Jan-13 11:08:59

grin I do think as well as 'comfort' ratings, beds should have 'exercise' ratings, able to withstand 1- basic shenanigans to 5 - full on karma sutra!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now