Does anyone know Farnham quite well?

(19 Posts)
Nix01 Fri 14-Dec-12 12:49:02

I've been searching for ages, and this one came up in Rightmove....what's wrong with it? Is the area not too great? I see the closest station is Aldershot and I recall reading some not so complimentary comments?

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-20511624.html

AppleOgies Fri 14-Dec-12 13:14:44

It's barely in Farnham... It's nowhere near the nice Farnham high street or anything. Aldershot is undergoing a mini renovation, but it's quite desolate (the town is a bit of a ghost town). You'd have to look, but I'd say it's barely in Farnham at all.

Boomboomboomboom Fri 14-Dec-12 14:45:09

Agree - Farnham and Aldershot merge into each other at points but the town centres are a few miles apart and Farnham is nicer more small market town. Aldershot it a bit of a shithole (sorry) crap shops, fairly ageing population, very large percentage of immigrants (gurkas) as well as the military aspects. There is redevelopment taking place but it is quite limited.

But the property looks nice. No idea if the surrounding area is ok,or what schools etc are like. You'd have to visit.

AppleOgies Fri 14-Dec-12 15:26:47

I certainly wouldn't go as far as describing Aldershot as a 'shithole'. angry
There is fairly substantial renovation going on in the town centre. New supermarket and cinema are now complete. In times of recession though I very much doubt too much can be done with the town centre.

I personally don't rate Farnham much either, except for having a nice town high street the rest of it doesn't have lots going for it either.

Do you know Farnham at all OP, are you planning on moving into the area from outside (London?). If so, do your research, there are some very nice parts of Hampshire and Surrey where £500K would buy you a lovely home.

Boomboomboomboom Fri 14-Dec-12 19:50:11

Oops sorry Apple. My experience of Aldershot is usually in the main town centre and with the dross that Aldershot (like all other towns) has to offer so my view may be a bit skewed! I do like the drive from Aldershot back towards Farnham and Odiham though!

AppleOgies Fri 14-Dec-12 22:08:45

I don't live in Aldershot, don't worry, I'm not too offended but I am from the surrounding area. smile
I was in Aldershot for the football a few weeks ago and it is looking better but I realise it's not to everyone's liking, but not a 'shithole'. smile

CajaDeLaMemoria Fri 14-Dec-12 22:15:48

I moved to Surrey a few months ago. Everyone told us to avoid Aldershot because it's rough as hell. Everyone. Work, estate agents, the hospital, our builders, engineers... It doesn't have a good reputation. They are trying to change it with a renovation but the fact remains that it isn't well liked at the moment!

OH works for a big international com company and the best route home involves driving through Aldershot. They've hand written on his contract to avoid Aldershot at night and to lock the doors when driving through. Maybe someone's idea of a joke but it looks very serious!

People who live there do defend it, and I've never lived there.

pepperrabbitanddesultorytinsel Fri 14-Dec-12 22:16:13

We went to the new cinema there a few weeks ago and I was impressed by the development - but I wouldn't choose to live there.
You need to have a drive around the area - there are some lovely places including Odiham (no station though). I like Crondall, but the secondary catchment isn't great if that's an issue.
Depends how close to a station you want to be.

crunchbag Fri 14-Dec-12 22:31:37

Yes that road is on the borders with Aldershot but it is the nice side of Aldershot and also a nice area of Farnham, or probably Weybourne.
Aldershot station is easy to get to compared to Farnham.
Farnham schools nearby will be Weybourne infants and Badshot Lea infants, William Cobbett Junior school, All Hallows and Heath End secondary.

The other side of Farnham (south) is lovely but very expensive. The north, Hale, Heath End, Weybourne and Badshot Lea is far more affordable but still quite expensive compared to Aldershot.
I think it is a nice area anyway.

AppleOgies Fri 14-Dec-12 23:05:31

Caja are you having a laugh. It is not rough, you can drive through it at night with no fears at all. I'd be amazed if any company recommended you don't drive through Aldershot at night in a contract. What do you think happens in Aldershot. It's hardly crime capital of UK let alone Hampshire!!!

It's Aldershot for Gods sake! It's hardly something out of The Wire! angry

AppleOgies Fri 14-Dec-12 23:11:38

And I don't live in Aldershot... I know the area well and wouldn't choose to live there. There are much nicer towns nearby. But seriously I feel I really have to defend it. It genuinely isn't that bad at all.

crunchbag Fri 14-Dec-12 23:16:58

Agree Apple, someone is having a laugh with the avoid Aldershot at night and lock doors.
I wouldn't choose to live there either but know plenty of people who do and it really isn't that bad.
Try going shopping in Farnham, you're stuck if you don't like boutiques or charity shops or have children.

madwomanintheattic Fri 14-Dec-12 23:23:50

I've been in Aldershot at night.

I refused point blank to live there, though. grin We lived in Farnborough. I just shopped at the grocery store out of town (en route to Camberley) and went to Guildford when I wanted real shops. wink

Aldershot is fine, but if you are going to move to a garrison town, then you have to accept that on occasion the reputation will be as rough as chuff. And I say that as ex military. grin

It ain't Joan Hunter Dunn territory these days.

Nix01 Thu 20-Dec-12 18:06:45

Thanks everyone, I haven't been online for a few days.

Apple, which area's within Hampshire/Surrey would you look at? Ideally, I'd like to feel "countryside" with great schools for the two boys. DH will be commuting to Victoria (I think). We live outside of England at the moment. DH wants Guildford and surrounding area's, but I'm battling to find much value for our money.

What area is this house actually in? I see there are two Outstanding Catholic schools nearby...I'm not too fussed if the boys have to go there.

Nix01 Fri 21-Dec-12 06:22:09

The house has come up again with a different agent listed as Weybourne?

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25208910.html

HappyAsASandboy Fri 21-Dec-12 08:30:46

I think that house would be in Weybourne rather than Farnham, but you wouldn't get that house for that money in Farnham itself! I think Weybourne would be fine, though I can't comment on the schools.

Commuting wise, I would seriously recommend looking towards Woking rather than Guildford. The frequency of the trains makes the journey so much easier. I used to live in Guildford but drive to Woking for the train because it really was so much easier. There is also a quick and direct bus from Waterloo to Victoria once you get into London.

Good luck with your move smile

Nix01 Sun 06-Jan-13 15:49:03

Thanks for your comment Happy. Could you recommend area's around Woking that you would recommend?

nannynick Mon 07-Jan-13 08:55:53

Near Woking the villages are nice but costly. Such as Lightwater, West End, Chobham. There is a big estate called Goldsworth Park which like all estates I expect has pockets of good and bad areas and thus problems (community centre/nursery was recently set alight).

Living in one of the villages, I find one problem is transport link - there is a bus which goes to the station but it takes quite a while to get there, so I drive everywhere. If you are needing to commute to London, then have a look at bus routes unless you plan on driving and parking at the station car park.

gally75 Mon 16-Sep-13 12:20:53

Hi you should look to wrecclesham which is 5 mins from farnham. The house prices are very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now