The decluttering, cleaning, vacating, pandering, nailbiting antics of the stressed out house sellers

(997 Posts)
Spirael Thu 29-Nov-12 14:08:31

Starting a new thread, since our old one was almost full!

Anyone suffering the stresses of trying to sell a house is welcome to join us; anyone here to tell us our houses are crap and/or overpriced is not. wink

CuddyMum Thu 03-Jan-13 16:17:01

That's good Toomuchtea - are you taking the chickens too?

Toomuchtea Thu 03-Jan-13 18:09:34

Alas no. One I am going to have to cull, as I put up with her horrible ways (she feather pecks and egg eats) but no one else will. It's a shame, as she's a lovely healthy hen, but she's pushing on a bit now for a hybrid breed, and doesn't lay any more. The other three I am hoping to lodge with a friend until I can find somewhere permanent.

Happy New Year!

Fantastice news spiraek - I hope you have a very settled 2013 in your new home.

For the rest of you...my fingers are still crossed you get what you are hoping for.

I have spent the festive period emptying dads house...if all goes to plan in less than two weeks we will have sold!

toomuchtea - have had to find homes for all sorts of things but a least I didn't have to worry about hens! (Although dads wee dog went to live with an old lady whose dog had recently died...we received a christmas card from the dog!)

SlimJimBra Mon 07-Jan-13 18:03:24

<pokes head round newly polished door>

Hello sellers smile

I didn't realise there was an ongoing thread, can I join you? I have just posted a thread about dressing the house for sale - then saw this thread and realised I might do better to ask on here.
We're about to put our 3bed end terrace on the market because we've finally found a 4bed we'd like to put an offer in on.

Toomuchtea Mon 07-Jan-13 19:11:22

Great news Bentneck. I hope all continues to go well.

Hello *SlimJimBra". Best of luck with your sale. Are you on the market yet?

News here - our buyers have finally, FINALLY, finished querying and instructed their solicitor to issue contracts...... my stress levels have been sky high, but I am feeling almost human now. Still don't have anywhere definite to live. The owners of the one we've offered on are so traumatised by their previous bad experience, they won't accept an offer from us until we've exchanged. Rental place we looked at was lovely, though I shall still be spending most of my life in the car, lugging people to and fro.

Is v v expensive house we love, love, love, but would mean another mortgage, and no longer having a mortgage and downsizing was the whole point of this move. Gah.

CuddyMum Mon 07-Jan-13 19:24:07

Hello Slim! Welcome. I saw your post. I would say just make sure your house is clean and tidy for viewings. The last house I viewed had toilet lids up (yes, the man lid too) and were unflushed - yucky. I guess they opted for the if it's yellow let it mellow approach!

Hope you exchange soon Toomuchtea! We originally wanted to downsize but as the kids say YOLO! I would like chickens one day. May I ask about how one goes about culling a chicken once its laying days are over?

Had to do mammoth whole house clean after work for a viewing at 5.30 pm. I could have said no but the guy has nothing to sell. Local people definitely still interested and have reduced the price of their second house.

Toomuchtea Mon 07-Jan-13 19:26:06

SlimJimBra, ah, you said you're just about to go on the market. Best of luck.

Toomuchtea Tue 08-Jan-13 08:58:39

Cuddy, good luck with the viewing.

One culls a chicken by wringing its neck (which is a quick, swift, pull, not an actual twist!) You can take them to the vet but I never do, as it's far more traumatic for the chicken, being separated from its mates and wafted off in the car, to hang about in a waiting room with chicken enemies like dogs and cats. I can't say it's something I enjoy doing.

Slim, I'd also say watch how the house smells. Clean is good, but don't go overboard with air freshener or candles. I always wonder what someone's covering up if a house smells of those, and I really dislike the smell of most candles and will actively avoid any shop that sells them, let alone a house that does.

Toomuchtea Tue 08-Jan-13 15:48:41

Spit, fume, rage. Buyers, having said yesterday they were completely happy, having spent the past 8 weeks raising query after query, and that we would exchange this week, have found 2 more things they need to ask about.

Pootles2010 Tue 08-Jan-13 16:10:40

Oh dear toomuch thats rubbish. Are they things that can be quickly sorted out?

We're no longer on the market... The house we wanted so much has gone sad

Someone else offered 120 on day we were going to make offer, we put in 125, then the assett management company (who own the house) said another offer had been made and accepted... since found out it was 125, same as ours. Guess they must have been cash buyer? Anyway we've taken ours off market, and going to leave it for now. Bit gutting, but nice in a way not to have to worry about it.

Toomuchtea Tue 08-Jan-13 17:37:48

Oh dear Pootle, that is gutting. Are there any similar houses in the area?

I don't know what they need to ask. Our solicitor has been trying to get in touch with theirs to find out, but no luck yet. She's trying to persuade the other solicitor to submit the queries via email rather than snailmail.

I have rung our EA to get him to put rocket under buyers. They have said they want us out by end of Jan, but there won't be a hope in hell of that if they don't pull their finger out. Worse, from our point of view, we will probably lose the one and only possible house as they won't accept an offer from us unless we've exchanged (they want a v quick sale, which suits us fine), and there is another buyer waiting in the wings.

CuddyMum Wed 09-Jan-13 15:25:02

Second viewing on Sunday!

Hope your buyers stop asking questions soon Toomuchtea! Are the questions being raised by them or by their solicitors?

Sorry that you are no longer on the market Pootles - is it not worth marketing your house in the hope that something new comes up?

Toomuchtea Thu 10-Jan-13 13:44:02

It's the solicitors. The buyers are very keen to get going themselves. However, I think we do now have somewhere to go: had an offer accepted this morning. Fingers, and everything else, tightly crossed.

Good luck with the second viewing Cuddy. Excellent that a cash buyer wants a second look. Fingers tightly crossed for you too.

Pootles2010 Thu 10-Jan-13 13:49:52

We're not really looking, we'll be in a much better position in the autumn (share save thing matures), was just this house was too good to pass up (small, expensive village - this one was 40k lower then any of the others).

All sounding good for you guys though smile fingers crossed...

CuddyMum Thu 10-Jan-13 15:02:40

Sounds good Toomuchtea - is this someone you approached?

Toomuchtea Fri 11-Jan-13 09:01:32

I hope something good comes up for you later in the year Pootles.

Yes, the accepted offer is someone I approached. Fingers tightly crossed it all goes through. Exchange still hasn't happened (surprise, surprise). They are now asking things they have already asked before, like is the woodburner staying?

CuddyMum Fri 11-Jan-13 16:08:29

God how frustrating for you. Fingers firmly crossed for your new purchase. How did you come up with an offer price?

Toomuchtea Fri 11-Jan-13 17:21:25

The house is was reduced, and was very well priced at that level - it's setting a low for the road, so we offered asking, which was accepted rather than the higher offer also on the table as we are in a better position to go forward (inches from exchange and no mortgage). We've been studying sold house prices in the area for the last couple of years, so even at asking price this does look a good deal.

I hope your second viewing goes well this weekend. It looks as if things are perking up a bit with the New Year. Is the house you were interested in still on the market?

CuddyMum Fri 11-Jan-13 19:49:38

Well there's one house in Harrold but it's massively overpriced - we could offer and be prepared to walk away. Had a long walk around Sharnbrook this evening whilst my daughter danced at the school and identified a good rental property. One daughter definitely wants to move schools but the other is adamant that she's staying put, which is a pain. Anyway, I'm probably getting ahead of myself as we've been close a few times now.

CuddyMum Sat 12-Jan-13 10:38:55

Another viewing today from someone in rented!

Toomuchtea Mon 14-Jan-13 10:22:57

Last time I moved the DC were little - much, much harder now one is a teenager . Am just longing for it all to be over now. We are in theory supposed to be exchanging today, but I'll believe that when I see it. One good thing is that the buyers' delaying has meant there is no chance we'll be out by end of Jan, so at least I have a bit more time to work on getting our purchase sorted.

Good that there's a possible rental in Sharnbrook. How did the weekend's viewings go? Any news yet?

CuddyMum Mon 14-Jan-13 17:45:55

Arsehole didn't turn up for the viewing!! I'm awaiting feedback from Saturdays. Grrr.

Hope you exchange soon Toomuchtea. I agree that moving with teenagers is way more difficult.

Toomuchtea Tue 15-Jan-13 08:15:14

Guess what - we didn't exchange.

Cuddy, that is beyond infuriating. Any excuses from him, or just complete no show? Fingers crossed for the Saturday feedback.

How do your DC find the uncertainty of moving/not moving? DD is really suffering, which is one reason I think why I find the shilly-shallying of our buyers and their solicitor, even more infuriating. It has demonstrable affects on her.

I think one big down of the English house-buying process is the way that it is almost adversarial: you come to view the buyers almost as enemies, rather than someone working together with you for the same aim.

CuddyMum Tue 15-Jan-13 10:22:09

Well, I was in Camden Market on Sunday (as you do!) and I had a message from the EA telling me that the guy was running late but would be there in 40 mins and I heard nothing else until yesterday when I had an email saying that he didn't show at all! Initial viewing from Saturday was that "she" loved it but "he" didn't! I wish they would be more specific because if there's something that needs changing, I'll bloody well change it! EA is still keeping in touch with the local people who have their house on the market who apparently will definitely offer (we'll see) and Nottingham people have gone quiet. How bloody hard is it to sell a house?

The kids (and husband) are getting really cheesed off at all the cleaning up coupled with the uncertainty of it all. DD1 just wants to stay where we are, DD2 wants to move and settle into a new school and DH wants to take the house off the market. I just want to get a buyer (and a puppy!) - I'll move into rented, it's not a problem and I know that we could exchange literally within weeks - very frustrating! I'm falling in love with the idea of renting the house in Sharnbrook (it's being re-thatched at the moment) but it's not likely to happen at this rate.

I really hope you exchange soon - it must be extremely annoying - still it does allow you a little more time. I just can't even begin to imagine being at the solicitor stage right now.

CuddyMum Tue 15-Jan-13 12:51:59

EA just heard from Mr No Show - he said, "Oh no, we won't be re-viewing as my wife has seen something else in Milton Keynes". Probably for the best really!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now