The decluttering, cleaning, vacating, pandering, nailbiting antics of the stressed out house sellers

(997 Posts)
Spirael Thu 29-Nov-12 14:08:31

Starting a new thread, since our old one was almost full!

Anyone suffering the stresses of trying to sell a house is welcome to join us; anyone here to tell us our houses are crap and/or overpriced is not. wink

CuddyMum Tue 12-Feb-13 19:54:04

We've had a few sets of pensioners who have all said that the house is too big. Why bother coming?

CuddyMum Thu 14-Feb-13 13:47:25

I wish I hadn't been so quick to email and register with all of the agents! I now get daily calls from bouncy, puppy-like whipper snapper sales boys.

Well there's not much chance of me getting any more viewings as I've taken the house off Rightmove (although the agent can still match my house out to enquirers). I wonder how long I should leave it before "relaunching" the details. Do people still put their houses up for sale in spring?

How is everyone else getting on this week?

Toomuchtea Thu 14-Feb-13 16:15:14

I think pensioners come round because the size of house is what they're used to, but then cold hard reality intrudes and they realise they actually need something smaller.

Yes, the sales calls are deeply annoying. Particularly the ones who have obviously been taught to use your first name on a teeth janglingly frequent basis.

Good luck to everyone else - it's sunny here, so hopefully the decent weather will bring keen buyers (and indeed sellers) out of the woodwork.

CuddyMum Thu 14-Feb-13 16:25:33

Typically, the EA has called to say that the people from the house I was offering on are now willing to negotiate! The EA knows I've lost my buyer as he's from the sister branch of my EA. Grrr.

sailorsgal Thu 14-Feb-13 17:30:33

Well I've just found out my buyers want to be in by April. shock I'm sure the EA orginally said we had ages. hmm

CuddyMum Thu 14-Feb-13 17:46:36

I suppose at least they're keen. I wished mine had been. Have you see anything else to buy?

sailorsgal Thu 14-Feb-13 19:58:03

Sods law, I can't see anything I like. I am going to view the one the other day but the tenants were out. Lets hope they let us in this time. grin

Sparklegeek Thu 14-Feb-13 20:12:17

I am worn out. Six viewings in our first week up for sale - and I'm only half way through them!!

MrsJamin Thu 14-Feb-13 22:11:06

oh well done sparklegeek, is the EA giving you positive feedback?
Sailorsgal, that is quick considering its mid-feb now. We had our survey this week - think our buyers are v keen too which is putting on the pressure to find something!
Cuddymum, here's hoping you get some buyers soon so you can get your chosen house.

Sparklegeek Thu 14-Feb-13 22:42:23

MrsJamin 2 of the 3 viewings so far have been from the same couple but apparently they're not making an offer now although they really like it as they want to look around a bit more grrr hmm Had another one today (40 mins notice & I had to do a school run in that time too!), then the next 3 are tomorrow, Sunday & Monday. Hopefully some more too as it's in today's local paper for the first time.

MrsJamin Fri 15-Feb-13 06:08:17

That sounds really encouraging, good luck!

springlamb Fri 15-Feb-13 15:24:04

Sparklegeek, it's very stressful isn't it, and not to mention all this cleaning is hell on my hands, they're taking on a Brillo appearance!
Cuddy and sailors, hope something turns up for both of you really soon, this world spins on a sixpence so all could change swiftly!
The two viewings today have been and gone - both elderly people, one of whom struggled with the stairs (luckily there is a downstairs bedroom/bathroom so it may suit).
Had another offer £45K below, not quite at that stage of desperation, only 4 weeks in! I don't intend to get desperate until May!
One of the viewers is moving out from Battersea (vair posh and expensive), so at least that indicates they might be good for the money!

AugustaProdworthy Fri 15-Feb-13 15:24:34

Weekend coming up and no viewings booked on our house .,, bit upset and sure this is a bad sign. Now waiting on the third viewing by a couple on Monday so maybe ... Good luck everyone else this weekend!

springlamb Fri 15-Feb-13 15:27:06

Will keep fingers crossed for Monday Augusta.
It seems to come in fits and starts - I had an 11 day dry period, then 3 in two days. Let's hope you have a little burst soon.
I have no more booked now either though.
[Walks the street yelling 'come on, you know you want it']

CuddyMum Fri 15-Feb-13 16:57:53

Sparklegeek - are your second viewers new to the area or just fussy?
springlamb - I had beautiful nails before all this cleaning malarky started and now they are mere stubs!
Augusta - a third viewing sounds good.

We have no viewings lined up for this weekend and are attempting to declutter a little more of the garage.

Sparklegeek Fri 15-Feb-13 17:19:38

My 2nd viewers were from out of the area but have family here. I think.

Today's viewers were lovely & came back a few hours after to try their car on the drive! But just a couple in a 4 double bed/5 receptions house???!! Also they seemed pleased to hear no upwards chain - but they are staying the weekend & have a few to view so we won't hear til next week...

Patience isn't my greatest virtue smile

springlamb Fri 15-Feb-13 17:58:53

One of my elderlys today said they'd like to come back and bring their son '...but it won't be today...'
WHY EVER NOT? Just do it!Of course I smiled and said 'no, no, whenever
you're up to it'
My jaw is beginning to ache from smiling through gritted teeth.

MrsJamin Fri 15-Feb-13 19:42:27

I have gritted teeth thinking about old couples buying such large houses! A 3rd viewing is great Augusta - sounds like they would make an offer you just hope it's a good one!

AugustaProdworthy Fri 15-Feb-13 20:24:10

Third viewing sounds good but they are 'nervous' according to EA as house is old. Have tried to put their minds at rest but older houses are sometimes more needy. Fingers crossed for Monday.
We had a coupld view who were in their sixties who wanted to know if one could fit a stairlift..... Erm no.

sailorsgal Fri 15-Feb-13 20:49:47

Went to see that house for a second time assured by the EA that the tenants would let us in. Again a no show! hmm

CuddyMum Fri 15-Feb-13 21:08:27

That's bad Sailorsgal - why doesn't the EA conduct the viewings?

sailorsgal Fri 15-Feb-13 21:29:01

The EA was there. Had been there with some other clients but they had waited half an hour hoping the tenants would show up. They are now hoping to get a key to the property.

CuddyMum Fri 15-Feb-13 21:44:19

Will you try again?

sailorsgal Fri 15-Feb-13 21:53:22

Well I'll probably try one more time as there is nothing else out there and its only about five minutes drive away.

springlamb Fri 15-Feb-13 22:38:42

That is bad sailorsgal. We once sold a house with tenants in and she kept greeting the EA and viewers wrapped in a bedsheet. She also took down (our) good curtains and put up the most disgusting, ripped scraps of material. And then refused to move out in time for completion. And I'd given her £100 a month off the rent since it went on the market to make up for the inconvenience of the viewings.
If you ever get to view it and take it further, make sure they are GONE before you exchange!
If I was the owner, I'd be giving them notice now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now