The decluttering, cleaning, vacating, pandering, nailbiting antics of the stressed out house sellers

(997 Posts)
Spirael Thu 29-Nov-12 14:08:31

Starting a new thread, since our old one was almost full!

Anyone suffering the stresses of trying to sell a house is welcome to join us; anyone here to tell us our houses are crap and/or overpriced is not. wink

CuddyMum Mon 21-Jan-13 13:24:44

Slightly peeved that I just found out through another agent that the house I was due to view on Saturday has been sold! Have just phoned to check this with the agent and he has to get someone else to ring me back. Not that it matters I suppose if I'm not proceedable but I wonder whether they would have actually let me know.

CuddyMum Mon 21-Jan-13 17:05:08

Even more peeved as the vendor of the other house I was going to view won't let me view as I've not sold even though I am with the same agent - grrr!!

everlong Mon 21-Jan-13 17:56:29

Hmm. That seems a bit daft. I can understand not letting just anyone view but if your house is up for sale I think they'd be crazy not to let you view. Is it a fab house?

Well had an offer! From the couple that I really liked. We've accepted it, was a bit below asking price but not too much. I'm happy.

Put an offer on the one we want now so just waiting to hear. Yikes.

CuddyMum Mon 21-Jan-13 18:25:35

Blimey that was quick - well done!

Toomuchtea Tue 22-Jan-13 11:14:08

That was quick Everlong - well done. Are you in London?

I'd have let you view Cuddy, as you never know if viewers might sell quickly.

everlong Tue 22-Jan-13 11:22:02

Thank you both smile no not in London, I'm in Saddleworth.

Just waiting to hear if our offer has been accepted on the house we want. Bit nervous!

Toomuchtea Tue 22-Jan-13 11:49:27

Fingers crossed for you!

everlong Tue 22-Jan-13 12:51:13

They've accepted 25k below the asking price! smile

CuddyMum Tue 22-Jan-13 12:58:14

What a result - that's great!

I'd have let me view too! The agent seemed embarrassed but hey!

Unfortunately, now I've registered interest with Wilson Peacock I am being bombarded with calls and emails from them and Taylors!! Typically they're talking about houses with no gardens and outside of the areas I specified!

Toomuchtea Tue 22-Jan-13 13:49:59

Wow - well done Everlong! That's brilliant. Are you planning to move far?

Cuddy, I found Simpsons were the worst for ringing us up, but at least they did try hard to find us somewhere. However they did also try infuriatingly hard to get us to offer on houses after we'd already said no.

Am on tenterhooks now waiting for DH to ring about conversation he was supposed to have had with the local council on whether or not prospective new house would get planning per for dropped kerb. Friend says our house move is like Macbeth - ‘what, will the line stretch out to the crack of doom?’ I think that it will.

CuddyMum Tue 22-Jan-13 14:10:14

Does the purchase depend on whether you will get permission to drop the kerb?

Toomuchtea Tue 22-Jan-13 14:45:54

Unfortunately yes.

CuddyMum Tue 22-Jan-13 15:54:24

Oh, in that case fingers crossed.

Toomuchtea Tue 22-Jan-13 18:02:20

Thanks! Been in touch with the council (as on my other thread!) and we'll know one way or another in 10 working days' time, but that is PERILOUSLY close to when we have to get out of here - 18th Feb. Can foresee horrible situation where have to put stuff in store for a week or two until we can get sorted out, and camp out somewhere. Gah. Why is there no smiley for Gah?

CuddyMum Tue 22-Jan-13 18:23:41

Oh my - cutting it fine!! Fingers crossed that they respond positively!

MrsJamin Fri 25-Jan-13 15:09:14

House on rightmove tonight apparently! Very excited to join thread. Any tips about how to leave the house for viewings? We have decluttered and cleaned but don't know whether its worth buying flowers, etc? Or putting up a hanging basket outside? It's a little 2 up 2 down vic terrace which seem to be selling to FTBs ok at the moment. Will be very disappointed if we don't have anyone viewing in the next week.

CuddyMum Sun 27-Jan-13 09:26:48

MrsJamin - welcome! I think clean, tidy, cared for and everything in its place should do the trick. Maybe hide any pet paraphernalia etc. I used to buy flowers for each viewing but have now invested in some nice fake flowers from Ikea! Do you have a lot of competition? I know that 2 up 2 downs sell very quickly here. What area are you in? All the very best. Hope you have some viewings lined up smile

everlong Sun 27-Jan-13 12:17:08

Ah well thought it was too good to be true. Our buyers have pulled out.
They came for another viewing after accepting their offer, they were very keen, asked how quick could we move, what were leaving etc. then we got a phone call the day after saying it was off!

Can't work some people out. I'm expecting this to be a bumpy ride.

CuddyMum Sun 27-Jan-13 12:28:19

I'm really sorry to hear that everlong. What will you do now? I can't work people out either. How awful.

everlong Sun 27-Jan-13 12:39:29

We will just have to wait now.. feel bad on the people we wanted to buy off. It was a bit too perfect!

CuddyMum Sun 27-Jan-13 13:40:30

I hope you can secure a new buyer soon and that the house you offered on is still available. I'm gutted for you.

everlong Sun 27-Jan-13 18:13:30

Thank youcuddy smile

How are things with you?

CuddyMum Sun 27-Jan-13 18:28:47

Stagnant! Had a couple of time waster viewers recently and still have local couple interested when they sell. I'm feeling very frustrated as I saw a great house but it sold within a day! I saw another house but she won't let me view as we've not sold. I'm feeling that my life is on hold right now.

everlong Sun 27-Jan-13 18:36:08

It's so frustrating isn't it? Like you say you're just waiting for that offer.. I've said to dh that I'll give it 8 weeks then I'd like to take it off the market.. tbh it's him that's keen to move, I like where I am!

Hate feeling in limbo. How long has yours been up for?

CuddyMum Sun 27-Jan-13 18:38:21

Too long everlong!! I think the price is right now after spending a long time studying the local asking prices and sold prices. We have been very unlucky!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now