Moving house

(7 Posts)
googleberry Sun 18-Nov-12 09:30:22

We have just sold our house and brought a larger one and we need to decide what we are taking with us, we took an offer less than we wanted so are a few thousand down, so is it ok to take light fittings (kids lampshades etc) and curtain poles and do we have to put new poles up? New house is bigger and has mostly blinds so would cost a fortune to replace

specialsubject Sun 18-Nov-12 13:09:17

you can take lampshades if in the contract, but you must not leave bare wires, every light fitting must be left ready to switch on. I think it is bloody-minded to leave empty sockets, do leave at least cheap bulbs in them.

curtain poles can go IF the contract says that you are taking them. There is a form which you fill in which details all that.

BTW lampshades cost £2 in B and M bargains. :-)

googleberry Sun 18-Nov-12 13:26:34

I never mentioned leaving them empty! But thanks anyway.

Just put what you are taking/leaving on the sellers form that your solicitor gives you, taking curtain poles and light fittings is fine.

specialsubject Mon 19-Nov-12 18:07:17

apologies, no offence intended. Had it done to me which is why it is a sensitive subject. Actually it was worse than empty sockets, the buggers left lots of bulbs that didn't work so we didn't find out until too late!

Mum2Fergus Mon 19-Nov-12 18:32:44

Id have thought anything staying/going would have been agreed prior to sale?

wonkylegs Mon 19-Nov-12 18:39:36

I echo the sentiments of the other poster re: being left nothing.... Moved into a house in winter once to find out that we had no light fittings (bare wiresangry) bulbs, door handles, they'd even taken the toilet seat.
Scarily that wasn't the nastiest surprise that they had left us. They were complete bastards.
Don't be complete bastards.
Take things that are special or will be of definite use to you, make sure this is clearly communicated in the paperwork.
House buying seems to often bring out the worst side of people, I think it's the combination of huge amounts of money & stress + estate agents & solicitors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now