Spray painted kitchen cupboards: Have you ever had it done and

(16 Posts)
nettybetty3 Fri 22-Nov-13 18:45:46

Hi, this is a very living nightmare in our house as we thought we would update the very tired dark cherry varnished wood cupboard doors. It seems to be that an eggshell finish works just as well as the cupboard paint, does satinwood work because this has just been recommended to me by Dulux?

libelulle Mon 19-Nov-12 08:55:31

You must be very lucky with your surfaces! If I tried to paint my kitchen cupboards in a couple of hours without sanding or priming, I can certainly guarantee that the result would be interesting wink

Seriously though - I'd never sanded or used good primer before reading the mighty traditionalpainter man. Now I find myself rather freakily stroking my walls and paintwork when I think no-one is looking, so gorgeous do they feel and look. Deviant stuff grin

I get bored of the colour and like repainting - it never gets chipped so I have too.

libelulle Sun 18-Nov-12 21:49:47

And hate to contradict Laurie, but if you don't want to repaint 3 times in 7 years, then you need to sand and use primer!

libelulle Sun 18-Nov-12 21:40:04

There is a ton of advice on traditionalpainter.com, including the kit to buy and kinds of primer etc. bit hard to navigate but all there if you dig around! I'm in a painting frenzy right now and have followed his advice to the letter. The results, on both walls and furniture, are really amazing - pretty close to professional quality. Bloody hard work, though.

I've never sanded or primed, unless its very heavily varnished it won't need it. I've just used 2 coats of eggshell - which isn't particularly hard wearing but I like the softness of it.

QueenMaeve Sat 17-Nov-12 23:14:02

Sanding and priming is straight forward enough. Just make sure you do thin coats of paint or spray, whatever you decide to go for. I'd say go for it.You could practice on a small piece of furniture first if you wanted, to gain your confidence

Helltotheno Sat 17-Nov-12 22:56:26

Yes but what about the priming and sanding? <scared>

Helltotheno Sat 17-Nov-12 22:55:52

I don't know exactly what look because it's a mish mash of things at the moment. I have this idea that cream and walnut would be a good combo. Is that country kitchen? Would prefer modern but the retrofitting would be too costly...

It's dead easy to paint yourself. I've done mine 3 times in last 7 years, only takes a couple of hours. Honestly save yourself some cash.

I did mine last month for £30 farrow and ball green/blue.

Helltotheno Sat 17-Nov-12 22:49:54

Good news. Sounds like your dad knew what he was at gemma4d but I wouldn't attempt it myself as could make a hash of it!

Lilllyaan you got someone in for that job? Our kitchen is oak and I want it cream/off-white like your one because we're bored with it at this stage. My instinct is it'll look fab (want walnut worktops with it), it'll just be a case of finding someone good for the job.

Thanks for the feedback smile

mrsmandm Sat 17-Nov-12 22:48:01

We had out spray painted and it looks fantastic - DIY painting is hard work and time consuming. Cost about £1.5k from a national company, called something like recreate kitchens - pm me if you want their details

QueenMaeve Sat 17-Nov-12 22:44:40

What sort of look are you after? If its a country kitchen look, I've seen loads of successful kitchens that have been done with Annie Sloan paint.

Lillyaan Sat 17-Nov-12 22:21:34

Yes I did. Considered buying a new brighter coloured Kitchen. To get an idea of what the brown Cherry wood would look like I had it sprayed Cream and the result was FAB. So good I it lasted another 3 years.
Last year I had estimate for replacement £19k-£27k. The our local builder revamped with new doors plinths and worktops for £3k. Love it

gemma4d Sat 17-Nov-12 22:04:25

Never spray painted. My dad brush painted all his kitchen and the job is absolutely perfect - you would think it was bought that colour. DH brush painted one bathroom cabinet and its a fairly good job but not perfect, especially on close inspection. To absolve my husband a little it was a second hand cheap bathroom cabinet - my dad repainted brand new cooke and lewis units.

It involved primer, sanding, special cabinet paint, more sanding, and more painting.

HTH

Helltotheno Sat 17-Nov-12 22:00:13

was it a success? They say the doors have to be taken off and primed, sanded, re-sanded after one coat etc, so laborious. Apparently spray painting is a much better job than brush painting.

Anyone get this done before and were you happy with the result?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now