Turning a loft room without building regs back into a normal loft~how easy is it?!

(33 Posts)
poppyboo Sat 17-Nov-12 18:40:17

I made an appointment to view a potential house next week but the problem is that it has a 'useful' loft room with no building regs. This fact puts me right off making an offer in the first place but I was wondering how easy it would be to reverse what the previous owners have done (put in two velux windows, put in a staircase,carpeted etc) & turn it back into an original loft again. I have two children and I have no interest in keeping extra space which does not meet safety standards etc.
Advice please!

JudeFawley Sun 18-Nov-12 10:23:06

The stairs into the bedroom are the biggest problem. It creates an 'inner room' situation which is highly illegal in terms of means of escape in case of fire.

The rest is relatively minor, imo.

poppyboo Sun 18-Nov-12 11:38:57

Jude I knew no building regs wasn't good which i why I wanted rid of loft conversion but I didn't know about the 'inner room' with stair case situation so I'm really greatful for you letting me know that. I think it seems too much of a mess so we will walk away. I will still view it for viewing experience IYKWIM as we are very keen on the area.

If it is not done to building regs you could well find the house is not sellable? Ie the vendors will have to get retrospective building regs, which may mean making changes to comply with regs. This could work to your advantage?

poppyboo Sun 18-Nov-12 13:24:54

behind I've decided it's not worth the risk. I will still view it though wink for viewing experience.

Yy, definately view it smile

poppyboo Mon 19-Nov-12 12:03:21

I will report back grin

poppyboo Tue 20-Nov-12 18:09:51

The property was AWFUL!
The loft conversion was AWFUL!
The velux windows looked so DIY it was untrue, one actually looked like it was at a slight angle.
I practically laughed at the estate agent about the asking price.
It was a probate property and nothing had been moved. There was still an open newspaper on the dining room table and ceareal packets in the kitchen. The state it was left in was shocking. It was really sad to see really. There was obviously no family to clear out the property.
Needless to say, we're not putting an offer in.
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied!

Phew, at least there is no doubt left in your mind. It would have been worse if you had gone to see it and loved it... You would have been torn then.

Sad to hear it is now unloved though, the family have left in a hurry by the sounds of it?

Are you willing to link to it on rightmove now? I am intriqued, that's all (and pathalogically nosy, sorry blush)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now