Boiler servicing

(12 Posts)

Has anyone used either NPower or British Gas to service their boiler?

Our boiler needs servicing but no one locally can recommend anyone (but there's lots of 'avoid this person' comments). So we were thinking of calling either Npower or British gas - they both seem to do a service for £99. Has anyone used either company and would you recommend?

tribpot Fri 16-Nov-12 19:57:05

Watching this thread - I need mine doing too.

RedHelenB Sat 17-Nov-12 11:25:03

I have the cover at 13 pounds per month & it includes a service with British gas. No problems in 16 years of using them.

PolterGoose Sat 17-Nov-12 11:51:14

We've had British Gas do ours, in the 3 houses we've had, for the past 14 years. Have never had a problem, they've never tried to sell us anything, and a couple of times things have been replaced that weren't actually part of our particular contract, just because the fitter was nice grin

PigletJohn Sat 17-Nov-12 12:43:37

I used to use BG, they are generally reliable (I once had mine repaired, same day, when it failed on Boxing Day). The advantage of an annual contract is that you won't often get a big bill (unless your boiler gets extremely old or you need a powerflush); the disadvantage is that they expect to make a profit out of you, so ten years of contracts will cost more than ten years of servicing.

They are rather expensive, and if you can get recommendations for a local person from friends or neighbours, should be cheaper.

My new boiler has a 5-year warranty, and I can repair all the other things myself, so I cancelled the contract.

RedHelenB Sat 17-Nov-12 12:54:09

For me , it's the same reason I'm with the RAC - when my heating goes I want quick reliable service, even on boxing day!!!

tribpot Sat 17-Nov-12 13:45:10

So on a related note, if you were going to take out a contract, would you get a service done first and then move on to monthly payments? My thought is, if they come and service it under the contract the monthly payments could shortly skyrocket ... if you see what I mean.

Furoshika Sat 17-Nov-12 14:00:17

It's probably cheaper to find a local recommendation (I mean to try again to find one) I got mine done last week for £72, all above board.
But all in all perhaps there's not much in it if you can't find a local person.

Fairylea Sat 17-Nov-12 14:06:45

We got ours done by the manufacturer of our boiler (valiant). It was 75 and we also got a free good quality carbon monoxide alarm.

Marrow Sat 17-Nov-12 14:10:23

When you go onto a service plan with BG they will come and do a service to confirm that they are happy to accept your boiler onto the plan.

Wingedharpy Sat 17-Nov-12 17:26:02

We use a local gas registered plumber.
Had it done last week and it cost £54 (that's up only £4 from last year).

nipersvest Sat 17-Nov-12 17:28:36

we get ours done every 2 years by local plumbers, have only ever paid in the region of £30 - £45.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now