tilt and turn windows

(18 Posts)

OK, I like these. We had them while I was growing up and again when we lived in Germany.

We are looking to get upvc (due to budget!) in our house but dh wants standard casement windows. He has conceeded it makes sense to have tilt and turn on the ground floor so we can have windows open in the living room when we are at the back of the house but wants casement windows upstairs.

If they look alike, do I let him have his way or should I fight for tilt and turn windows upstairs? I am not sure I feel as strongly about upstairs but like the safety aspect. DH thinks a casement window with child lock on would be better for our ds.

Any advice please oh wise ones?

As always, many thanks smile

Vivalebeaver Thu 15-Nov-12 22:52:42

We have tilt and turn windows.

I like the fact I can clean the outside of the upstairs ones without a ladder. If there was a fire we could get out a window a lot easier than a casement one.

Thanks Viva.

Do you know, can you get child locks that work with tilt and turns? We have a rather adventurous (!) 3 year old ...

Viperidae Thu 15-Nov-12 22:57:44

I love tilt and turns but sadly have not got any

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 15-Nov-12 22:58:58

We have tilt and turn that you can lock .

Oh KDDD - how do they lock? Off to google lockable tilt and turn ...

Is it the handles?

Vivalebeaver Thu 15-Nov-12 23:01:14

Ours have keys and a little button. So they can be locked but I'm been vague as we never lock them so unsure of what the button is for.

Vivalebeaver Thu 15-Nov-12 23:01:32

Button is in the handles and the keyhole.

So do you lock them while the window is tilted? I guess that's what I am looking for (although that means it can't be used as a fire escape ...)

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 15-Nov-12 23:07:07

There is a little slide button thing and you can't open them to fall out. I can't even do it, DH has to.

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 15-Nov-12 23:07:49

So if they are open you can't twirl them without flicking the switch and you couldn't get out otherwise.

Is that a standard thing do you know? Or did you specify it as extra?

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 16-Nov-12 07:51:49

It must be standard - ours is a new house. Has to be for health and safety thinking about it. They aren't going to make windows that people can fall out of.

CarpeJugulum Fri 16-Nov-12 07:55:30

Standard these days (we're looking even if DH doesn't know! grin )

Tilt and turn are brilliant, and our last set in our old house was set so it tilted first - which meant that if you were little like me, it was a bit of a faff getting it to the turn position as it sort of default opened.

Loved it from a safety point of view though.

MrsBucketxx Fri 16-Nov-12 07:58:27

mine are and to get them to turn is quiet hard.

dc would be able to turn them, i cant most of the time.

madamecake Fri 16-Nov-12 13:02:54

We have them at the front of our house, I don't really like them as I can't have blinds up at the windows. But they are great for cleaning.

Thanks all. Decided to go for them in the end. Looking at blinds that fix on them rather than at the window (and so get in the way now)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now