Floor sanding advice

(10 Posts)
typicalvirgo Fri 16-Nov-12 11:00:14

Agree with others if you can pay a professional to do it then thats the best way forward.

I have recently had a couple of floors sanded and it cost £1500.

Two guys did it over a week and I am so so pleased with the result. We could never in a million years have achieved the same effect. They have a proper sander. Not the sort of thing joe public can hire from HSS. They sanded it down with 5 different grades of sandpaper. Who would know to do that ?

Interestingly, they said a lot of their work came from people who had tried to do it themselves and realised they couldn't, so came to them to finish it off.

Which Michael mackintyre sketch is it Iseesmallpeople there seem to be loads ?

Back2Two Fri 16-Nov-12 09:48:06

Have PM'd you

Yes - it has a matt seally coating thingy on it ,<technical>. I am south-east and if anyone wants his details pm me.

Back2Two Fri 16-Nov-12 07:53:25

Did he varnish or wax it too?

I had a 25sq m bedroom done by a chap who does today. He had a dust-free thingy - hoover attached to the sander. He does it for a living. He sealed and filled too. Took him all day.

Looks amazing. The noise and fine dust though - I would never, ever consider doing it myself. It cost me £550. It would cost that to have it underlayed, gripper rodded and carpetted so I think it was a pretty good deal.

I think you are very mad brave.

Back2Two Thu 15-Nov-12 21:00:16

Bum.......p

ISeeSmallPeople Thu 15-Nov-12 19:19:58

You should never forget. If you have you didn't do it properly the first time smile

Back2Two Thu 15-Nov-12 19:06:43

grin
Is it like childbirth? Do you forget and then do it all over again? I have actually done three rooms once before all by myself but maybe I've forgotten just how grim it is?

ISeeSmallPeople Thu 15-Nov-12 18:59:07

No.

First you must watch the Michael McIntyre sketch on it. It will be on you tube.

It is all true.

Back2Two Thu 15-Nov-12 18:57:13

Hi
I want to sand the floorboards in one room. Can you let me know what sanding equipment I'll need please? And any advice on varnish/wax/polish too

Thanks a mill

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now