corner bath - yay or nay?

(24 Posts)
out2lunch Thu 15-Nov-12 14:31:26

ever had one - what do you think?

MsPickle Thu 15-Nov-12 14:34:15

We had one before we redid our bathroom, it's a very narrow space so it basically filled one end. The only good memory I have of it is that it's where I did most of my labour with ds!! We replaced with a L shaped shower bath which is loads better. The corner shape meant not stretching out and I was never able to 'wallow'. It also took forever to fill as it was so big. In essence, I'm not a fan but each to their own!

SoupDragon Thu 15-Nov-12 14:36:24

I really don't like them. My parents have one. If I were buying a house I would be ripping a corner bath out ASAP.

MiniTheMinx Thu 15-Nov-12 14:39:28

naff. Although I guess you could go all retro and choose a coloured corner bath.

ISeeSmallPeople Thu 15-Nov-12 14:41:22

No.
No no no.

If you can't fit a proper bath, choose a shorter deeper one.

They are big, look like a 1980s idea of a honeymoon suite in a b&b, & utterly pointless.

Although, of course, in avocado would be kitsch smile

out2lunch Thu 15-Nov-12 14:42:23

thanks

why soupdragon? is it the look of them?

out2lunch Thu 15-Nov-12 14:43:59

we can fit a proper bath - just pondering really what are the benefits ?

higgle Thu 15-Nov-12 16:26:14

We have one. It is white with plain wood bath panelling and necessary because of the strange shape of our bathroom. We don't have many baths as we usually shower but it is useful, we both fit in it comfortably ( can squeeze in together at a push) and don't have any other choices. I think if you have no alternative they are OK - you just have to make the rest of the bathroom ultra tasteful to compensate.

haggisaggis Thu 15-Nov-12 16:36:12

We're getting one in our ensuite when we have it redone! A whirlpool too so even more naff I suppose.. Will have a separate walk in shower and teh corner bath enables us to have a bit extra floor space. Also coombed ceiling so will fit better than standard bath. Having it in white but maybe we should change to avocado?

CarpeJugulum Thu 15-Nov-12 16:39:49

Hate it.

There is room in our bathroom for a separate shower and bath, so why they put in a corner version I will never know.

You can't stretch out or lie down comfortably, and bathing with DS is cramped too.

It's on my "list" of things to do when I win the lottery and can afford anything!

Big put off on a house for me, in our old house we had a bath in a P shape, the foot end was wider- ideal for overbath shower- and was nice and wide at the knee for stretching.

MiniTheMinx Thu 15-Nov-12 16:47:44

A friend of mine has one in a burgundy with gold taps, Square tiles with flowers & carpets, I think if you are going to do it you may as well go for all out naff wink It actually looks quite cozy after all these brilliant white bathrooms which lack warmth and character.

SoupDragon Thu 15-Nov-12 17:15:57

You can't stretch out or lie down comfortably

This.

Although you can fit three small children in at one go.

out2lunch Thu 15-Nov-12 20:12:04

thanks everyone - i though it might be better for stretching out when sitting down iyswim are they not long enough for that?

higgle Thu 15-Nov-12 21:23:53

I can lie down in mine - but I am only 5'3"

CMOTDibbler Thu 15-Nov-12 21:32:44

We have an offset corner bath, and I can lie down comfortably and I'm 5'9. Love it - its slightly wider than a normal bath, so really comfy, and it looks nice too.

Bluestocking Thu 15-Nov-12 21:40:43

The only one I've ever actually used was incredibly uncomfortable to lie down in - not long enough (and I'm a shortarse), too wide so you slosh from side to side, that nasty acrylic that makes rude sounds when you move on it, and not really deep enough. And I think they always look horrible. But if someone posts a pic of a beautiful stylish bathroom with a corner bath, I'm happy to revise my opinion!

SwedishEdith Thu 15-Nov-12 21:48:20

They're horrible. We had a champagne one. When you stretch out (or try to) because the bath bit is at an angle to the walls, your head can't rest evenly against the wall. Don't do it if you have an alternative option

pippala Thu 15-Nov-12 22:37:23

We have one.
We had to put one in as the bathroom is an odd shape( replacing pink whirlpool corner bath)
We had four bathroom designers round and they all said it was all we could do!
However I do love it as it is sooo deep and comfortable, the only drawback is that it is too narrow for two.

We had one in our old house. It was massive and took ages to fill (cost a fortune in heating water too), but you could get 2 adults and a toddler in it. You could have the water really deep too.

We wouldn't choose one though. It took up far more space than a sensible bath would (and there was oodles of space in the bathroom) and looked quite crap.

amazonianwoman Fri 16-Nov-12 00:28:08

Nooooooo don't like them at all sorry.

FrameyMcFrame Fri 16-Nov-12 00:38:04

DD would love one! all kids like these corner baths!

We have a short, deep p shaped shower bath as mentioned upthread.

It was a choice between that and a corner bath and I'm so pleased we went with ours. I LOVE it. Admittedly I'm only 5'4" ish but I can wallow in it to my hearts content. It was from bathstore and came with the shower screen etc.

ILoveOnionRings Sat 17-Nov-12 16:43:29

I agree with a shorter, deeper bath (our only option) and it is fabulous. I would never go for the normal depth bath again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now